3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New truck new problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Displacer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck new problem

Hi all, I just purchased my first truck (2005 dakota club cab 4x4 st)
drove it off the lot no problems purr'd like a kitten 2 days later the temperature outside dropped to - 15 or something. I woke up that morning started the dakota and the oil light came on. I freaked out took it back to dodge where I bought it, turned off the truck went in they said bring it in. Jumped in the truck started it up no light. they checked the oil and there was a little to much in there but they said it shouldn't be a problem. They checked for error codes and there was none. It got nice out again and life was fine but as soon as it got cold again the other day boom theres the oil light again. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this ? Seems odd to me as most of the other posts I've read about the oil light everyone has been having problems after it heats up NOT while its cold?
The dealer assured me that he didn't belive it was an issue and that if it happened again bring it back. When it happened again I brought it back but it was a weekened and they were closed:<

Thanks for any input

Displacer.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
WBattack
Rookie

If you start it and the light comes on and then turn it off and the light goes out after restart, Oil pressure sending unit needs replaced.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Displacer
Default Thanks

Thanks for the prompt response. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to have the unit replaced?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional

I had the same problem with my 05. Only happened when it was cold out upon startup. I think they replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor (something along those lines) and it has been fine ever since. I'm not sure a price though because it was fixed under warranty.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do it yourself I suspect it will be less than $100.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha, I lied sort of. The oil pressure sending unit lists at $7.

Last edited by Q-TIP; 12-15-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Displacer
Default nice

7 bux, awesome but I've never messed around with that area of the engine before so I'm probably going to wuss out and hand it over to a shop to fix. so 7 bux + labor <I'm assuming its probably not very time consuming> Mabey like 60 or 70 bux? Hopefully its covered under that warrantey i got suckered into buying

Thanks again all, appreciate the input

Displacer

Old 12-15-2009, 02:12 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

If it was just a few days after purchasing...I would make the dealer pay for everything. Usually they are willing to help a new purchase out!

Quick Reply: New truck new problem