3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

carrier bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
scrow14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carrier bearing

has anyone had to replace carrier bearing on a 06 2wd, is it pressed on the driveshaft or does it just slip on ? the rubber on mine has torn around the bearing think this might be my vibration dealer wants 225.00 for part does anyone known where else to find one.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM
CSouth81

Originally Posted by scrow14
has anyone had to replace carrier bearing on a 06 2wd, is it pressed on the driveshaft or does it just slip on ? the rubber on mine has torn around the bearing think this might be my vibration dealer wants 225.00 for part does anyone known where else to find one.
Chrysler 9.25's are known for taking out carrier bearings.... Its the bearings on the inside of the rear diff on either side of the "carrier" (where your ring gear is) Anyhow I lost two sets on my 98 dodge and my dad lost two sets on his 97 dodge. We also lost a set on our 91 plow truck and my brothers 01. They are not that big of a job to replace but a couple of specialty tools make the job much easier. You need the adjuster tool that reaches in the end of the axle tube to back off the carrier adjusters and the big yolk wrench is a HUGE help for removing pinion nut and then re-installing and setting your pinion bearing pre-load. I get all my bearings through an industrial supplier. You can get the part numbers through AutoZone and then cross them to a timken or whatever flavor floats your boat and get them through an industrial supplier for around half of what you were quoted (thats for both carrier bearings and races, the pinion bearing and race, and pinion seal.) Hope this helps....... Probably just sounds like rambling. Sorry!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I believe he is refering to the bearing that supports the driveshaft. It's located on a chassis crossmember about halfway back.

Have you checked the service manual?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 PM
CSouth81

Wouldnt that be a center bearing

Old 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM
scrow14

i thought it was a center bearring but d/s lists it as a carrier bearing

Quick Reply: carrier bearing