3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Scheduled Maintenance for wifes Jeep...look at how much $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Scheduled Maintenance for wifes Jeep...look at how much $$

Lol!

So I called up my local 5 star service dealer (Tempe Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep) to schedule a 30,000 mile maintenance for my wifes 2008 Jeep Patriot.

Well....now I remember why I avoid the dealer at all costs...here is what they want to charge me:

Oil Change: $40
Tire Rotation: $30
Air Filter: $22
4 cyl engine tuneup: $100
Wheel Balance: $65
Front end alignment: $95

Grand Total: $352!

That is just obscene!!

Let's see how much I can do this by going to other certified mechanics...

Oil Change: $20
Tire Rotation: Inc. w/ oil change ($0)
Air Filter: $10 from Checker/autozone/napa
4 cyl engine tuneup: IDK what this even consists of, do you? (Maybe new plugs?) $20 from checker/autozone/napa
Wheel Balance (though it does not need it): $20
Front end alignment: $69

Grand Total: $139

So for 39% of what they want, I can do myself or have a shop do it! Just ridiculous!

Does anybody know the repercussions of having another shop (or myself) do this though?

AKA: I have this stupid "lifetime" powertrain warranty and wanted to bring the Jeep in at 30,000 miles for a scheduled maintenance to prove that I have been taking care of my vehicle. Is this stupid to do? Are they going to give me a stupid reason to deny my warranty work in the future anyways?

Thanks for ya'lls advice! (Sorry for the rant)

Cliffs: Stealership wants alot of money for maintenance. I can do it for cheap. Should I do it myself b/c of warranty concerns in the future?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
thecause17
Veteran

That's why I do everything I can myself, unless it's a part failure that's under warranty. I have a file box in the garage that I file all my receipts in and write the date/milage that I did the work on. I've been told this is good enough by dealers in the past.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Wow I pay $60 for Oil Change Tire Rotation and inspection of brake and all fluids. And he comes to my house

Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

They all seem like legit prices, usually the shop will throw things together into a bundle though to lower the cost...

I do 90% of my own work, I agree with the way Eric explains it. I haven't had an issue yet over warranty items, but there has only been like 2 issues that the dealer has corrected, one serious.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I had the dealer update my ECM for $75.00 he wanted $90.00. There where three updates that did just about nothing. We are held hostage with puters running the show.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

Thx for the advice guys! I will be doing most of the work myself then :-D also, why did you need to update the ECM? I have never had to do this at a shop. Is this something I should make good practice of doing? thx

Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

If you feel your trans is shifting wrong or you have engine issues under warranty they usually check to see if there are ECM updates and install them free. After warranty same thing only you pay if there are available updates. No they do not alert you. You will have to ask if there are any. If they say there are updates and your ECM shows you are behind then who are you to say it's true or not. How do you know? It's not like Chrysler emails you. It’s a bit of a sham.

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintenance for wifes Jeep...look at how much $$