3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just ordered my Daystar Leveling kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
SlvrKota22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my Daystar Leveling kit!!!

Whuts up guys?
Im new to this forums and dakatos in general. I just bought my 07 about two months ago and knew right away that i wanted to level it. I did some reasearch and looked at a few of you guys pics and once my old truck sold i ordered it.

I am going to use Dakolorado's write up as a guide aswell os with the service manual i downloaded from the forum

I had never done any of this type of work on a truck but have customized motorcycles and misc. other stuff so i should be able to handle the install myself with a few friends guide.

I was just wondering if you guys had any last minute pointers or tips before my parts come in and i begin to make my kota look legit.

Thanks alot

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

How many miles are on it? You might as well order some Rancho Struts for the front (if you have over 30k) because you are going to need them soon.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need to disasemble the strut with the daystar kit, it just sits like a crown on top. Replacing the struts would be a bigger job, but if your taking the struts out and your comfortable with it, replace em.

Heres a GOOD tip:

The sway bar end links, tend to seize up where they connect to the sway bar. Detach the links from teh lower A-Arm (bottom), NOT the sway bar (top), this will prevent you from breaking them, as the top nut seems to seize, and the top is pretty weak.

-OR-

Make sure you have a new set of sway bar end links to install when you install the Daystar Kit.

Reinstalling the strut with the daystar kit on top of it will be tricky, this is what worked for me:

Slide the strut with the kit on it top first, and thread the closest strut plate nut (of the 3, the closests one too you) very loosely. then go ahead and push the bottom end in and get that big lower a-arm bolt into place. now go back up top, and tighten that 1 (of 3) upper mount nut, and then install the other 2.

Doing this will allow the strut to stay in place while you do the bottom, and since you only install the closest one loosely (threaded only a bit so the strut can wiggle in and out) it will really help in getting the lower strut eye hole in place with the A-arm eye hole.

Your going to bow the strut a bit when installing the lower, so dont be afraid too. This will help though.

Ive done 2 kits. They are a bitch, but worth it to do yourself. Make sure you get an alignment pronto so you can get that front end to settle in correctly.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
SlvrKota22
Professional

Yeah its still really low on miles so as of now im not gonna worrie about the struts maybe a few months after i do this i will worry about them.

Monkeywrench thanks for the tips man im sure it will be a bitch but like all good things you must work hard for them

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

yes good tips monkey! I wish I had those tips when I did both my lift and new struts! Overall though I am very happy with it (except the 'rattle' I now have under my front end). I'm still not sure what it is. I'll get under there some day.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Daystar leveling kit in my dakota about a month ago... Its a pain but it was totaly worth it. I messed up my CV shaft because i wasnt being carefull and it all droped down and then all the grease just start squirting out.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
SlvrKota22
Professional

damn im getting anxious to put this thing in but the company i ordered from hasnt even shipped it yet i should get it around thursday or friday next week... ****ty thing is i go out of town on friday

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

THat sucks!!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
SlvrKota22
Professional

your not lieing! it said it was supposed to ship tuesday or wendsday this week but thursday i got an email saying the 11th or 12th

Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

That happenss to me everytime i order somthing for my truck i hate it!

Quick Reply: Just ordered my Daystar Leveling kit!!!