3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Interchangeable Brake Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
infamouswb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interchangeable Brake Calipers?

I've had a bad experience but would like to see if the Dodge mechanics were right or if the other guys were right. Short version, Dodge garage said the brake calipers were on the wrong side. Left calipers on the right and vice versa. Is this possible? I mean, will the bolt holes line up and fit? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Was/is the bleeder screw on top?

That is all you need to know to see if they are on correct.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
infamouswb

I did not see this. All I saw was the bill with the fix actions. I just want the truth and want to know if these calipers can be mistakenly put on the wrong side. I've spoken with a few people already and so far, they think the dealer is telling me a story. I'm not looking to point blame, lawsuits, etc, I just want the truth. After having this truck at one place for 3 weeks chasing problems, then Dodge fixing it within a day I'd like to know if it was somehow overlooked or something else.

I appreciate any info.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm guessing that you are not the original owner? It's hard to believe someone could put them on backwards, but not impossible.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 AM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my '87 Wrangler the brake calipers can most certainly be put on backwards/the wrong side. And if done causes a slew of weird braking issues.

I noticed the brake caliper brackets on these trucks use the same part number. And after staring at a picture of a brake caliper for a while I'm sure these could be put on backwards as well. The only difference between the side would be where the bleeding nipple would be located. The brake hose connection is smack dab in the middle of the caliper so if they were put on the wrong side you'd never know unless you knew where the nipple was prior to pulling them off.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So who is the dumba$$. You, or someone else? I kid

Quick Reply: Interchangeable Brake Calipers?