3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

extended cab subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Moneyman19
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I have an 8"amplified Bazooka tube just sitting, collecting dust, I think I might have to hook it up now.
why is it just sitting?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneyman19
why is it just sitting?
I took it out of a car a few years ago, kinda forgot about it.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
utahdakota
Professional

Ive been looking at this. when i get a job im going to buy this an amp and a 10 inch sub to put in im also going to call them as ask to have so i can place the amp inside, they might already have that im not sure but i like this and is what i been looking for.

http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2695
Lovin it, might have to get one myself. Looks exactly like the storage box i built and put between those 2 seats in mine.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdister
I just installed a new Kenwood head unit and have speakers ready to go in. I'm going to want a sub, though.

1. Doesn't need to be super loud, just want to make my music sound more true
2. Easy to temporarily remove
3. Fits easily behind passenger seat on the floor

I can't take up the whole extended cab, my 70 lb Lab rides back there. in between the jump seat is out of the question.

I'm seriously considering a Bazooka tube. I know that they are seen as kind of a joke to many, but having the amp built in would be really nice and the 8" version seems as though it would be about the perfect fit for the space I have. It would also be fairly hidden.

What else to consider? Thanks
Why not take out the jumpseat on the passenger side and install a woofer in that corner of the cab? I pulled both the jumpseats out of mine, it's pretty easy to do and they're practically useless anyway. If you're willing to part with your center console (or center seat if you have that) you could construct a box to fit there as well.

I can vouch for the quality of SoundOff Audio's stuff. When I had my extended cab Silverado I bought a custom box from them to fit under the rear seat. I had to modify it because the sub I got was stupidly large but it was solidly constructed and sounded great considering I put an Audiobahn in it (give me a break, that was before I knew much of anything about car audio beyond what my HS friends were telling me).

Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i got bored after work today so i started to design up the sub box. I am going to design the sub to hold 2 8" subs. Might make a version with a recess for an amp so its not so bulky. Gonna also create mounting bars to the rear seat belt bolts so it stays put. Might also run a bar to the front center seat seat belt bolts of it seams like it needs to stay more put.

Gonna program and assemble the box after work tomorrow. I will post some pics when its done!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Moneyman19
Captain

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I took it out of a car a few years ago, kinda forgot about it.
sounds good, how do they sound? if well enough im thinking bout maybe stuffing one under the center seat if enough room?

Originally Posted by Eimer123

Gonna program and assemble the box after work tomorrow. I will post some pics when its done!
can't wait to see what your coming up with!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
while your designing it, keep in mind that almost all subs have different airspace requirements, so you're going to want to design it to fit "the most" subs.

8 inch subs usually want between .6 and .89 cubic feet of space. (in general)

Fiberglass and MDF will give you the best resonance. if thats what your after.

Our company builds customer pro audio, and home audio speakers for several companies. You are pretty close on the cubic feet, it really depends on the exact speaker(s). I am gonna have have the box's built out of Baltic birch which is the absolute best material for strength and resonance. We have not gotten into car audio but maybe this will be start to things.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of out work i have our company web page. We do not sell our speakers thru the company. Its just a site so people can see the work. If i get in trouble for posting the site just let me know and i can PM you the link. http://www.ww-speakercabinets.com/

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

sounds good, how do they sound? if well enough im thinking bout maybe stuffing one under the center seat if enough room?
I had it in the trunk of a convertible, it sounded excellent, deep bass. It was on a Pioneer system with RCA outputs for the sub & sub controls. Hopefully I'll get it hooked up soon.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Our company builds customer pro audio, and home audio speakers for several companies. You are pretty close on the cubic feet, it really depends on the exact speaker(s). I am gonna have have the box's built out of Baltic birch which is the absolute best material for strength and resonance. We have not gotten into car audio but maybe this will be start to things.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of out work i have our company web page. We do not sell our speakers thru the company. Its just a site so people can see the work. If i get in trouble for posting the site just let me know and i can PM you the link. http://www.ww-speakercabinets.com/

those are some pretty nice boxes and they look real nice

Quick Reply: extended cab subwoofer