3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4 wheel problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Ok lets go over both one by one and kick this in the butt.

4wd Hi. Can be engaged in park/neutral/or on the fly up to 55 MPH (if you need to engage the 4wd at 55 you got more issues than needing 4wd). If it is cold out (fluid doesn't move fast when cold so the electronic engaging motor struggles) or you have the wheels turned far over in either direction the engaging of the 4wd Hi may take some time or not engage at all due to the wheels, but shouldn't take more than 5 seconds under normal conditions. If it does take longer make sure your wheels are relatively straight and if nothing works i would have it looked at during the next service. You do not want to have something not work when you need it.

4wd Low can ONLY be engaged in park or neutral due to the low gear position and cut (correct me if i am wrong). Once again if it cold out side or the wheels are turned far in either direction may take some time for it to engage. 4wd Low will take a little bit longer than to engage, but shouldn't take longer than 15 seconds.

4wd low will never engage in Drive (if you switch it to 4wd low while in drive it will just blink, even if you are not moving)

Also note your turn radius in 4wd will be reduced so you may hear some weird noises if you try to over steer while in 4wd.

If this does not help let us know.
Thank you very much. Along with the other advice this should get it done.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be paranoid but for a moment I feel a faint grind under my feet coming through the floor pan starting from standstill. I have also noticed a hum, like tire noise or gear noise above 40mph. I don't know, may be they have all been there and I am just noticing them. Is the transfer box in the middle? Nobody else notices them but me.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel problems??