3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what great advice in this thread! I can't wait to change my oil next time :-)

I will do both the engine crank and the ziploc baggie. I may be changing my oil in a clean suit soon enough!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran

Originally Posted by popsnbeer

I will do both the engine crank and the ziploc baggie. I may be changing my oil in a clean suit soon enough!
Make sure to run the engine alittle before you drain the oil so that the engine is completely lubricated. Especialy if the truck has been sitting overnight. This will suspend any dirt that may have settled in the bottom of the pan in the oil when you go to drain it.

Last edited by dakotajerry; 07-27-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by popsnbeer

What engine crank? Did I read that right and someone said to crank the engine to remove oil from the filter? Go ahead and crank an engine with no oil in it. Excuse me while I fall down laughing.......

Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotajerry
also if you crank the engine a few turns after you drain the oil it will pump out the filter and there is no oil in the filter.
I really hope you are kiddding. If not, wtf is wrong with you?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran

Originally Posted by NJJer
I really hope you are kiddding. If not, wtf is wrong with you?
No i'm not. That's why you run the engine before you drain the oil. All parts will be lubricated. I'm not talking about cranking it and putting it to the floor. You only crank it for a couple seconds. It only takes a few rotations to pump the filter empty. Most lube centers will do this.

Last edited by dakotajerry; 07-27-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

i just ordered one of those oil drain valves off ebay. probably will be the best $26 i spent on this truck!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotajerry
No i'm not. That's why you run the engine before you drain the oil. All parts will be lubricated. I'm not talking about cranking it and putting it to the floor. You only crank it for a couple seconds. It only takes a few rotations to pump the filter empty. Most lube centers will do this.
Did you bump your head? I know of NO ONE who would ever do that.

First off, you are removing the filter to change it, why in the hell would you want to "pump the filter empty"?

I will take my many years and my ASE Master Certs and put them up against the fool who told you this. If anyone ever tried that to a vehicle and I saw it, I would beat them senseless. Seeing how they must be brain dead anyway.

You go ahead and pump your filter dry. When you blow that truck up, I will be glad to laugh at you so all the world can see.

Please, anyone reading this, NEVER DO THIS! .

My God people never fail to show me just how stupid they are. You Sir, have taken it to a whole new level.

Would a MOD (Eric) please delete this bad and harmful "info" in this thread about cranking the engine over with no oil in it before someone does some damage to theirs?????? Thanks

Last edited by NJJer; 07-27-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Brian9
Veteran

Njjer, I do not know if what Jerry describes is wrong or right and I probably would never do it to any of my vehicles, but it does not mean you have to be a dick about it. Surely you can state your case without name calling.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

thats just cold!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran

Originally Posted by NJJer
Did you bump your head? I know of NO ONE who would ever do that.

First off, you are removing the filter to change it, why in the hell would you want to "pump the filter empty"?

I will take my many years and my ASE Master Certs and put them up against the fool who told you this. If anyone ever tried that to a vehicle and I saw it, I would beat them senseless. Seeing how they must be brain dead anyway.

You go ahead and pump your filter dry. When you blow that truck up, I will be glad to laugh at you so all the world can see.

Please, anyone reading this, NEVER DO THIS! .

My God people never fail to show me just how stupid they are. You Sir, have taken it to a whole new level.

Would a MOD (Eric) please delete this bad and harmful "info" in this thread about cranking the engine over with no oil in it before someone does some damage to theirs?????? Thanks
NJjer, I've been doing mechanic work for over 30 years. I'm not telling anyone to run there engine. I'm saying crank it over a few turns and this will get enough oil out the filter so that i doesn't spill all over the place when you take the filter off. I'm sorry i wasn't clear enough.only an idiot would acually run there engine. I've been driving and changing oil in vehicles 35 year. a couple of trucks i've put over 240,000 miles. Never had any problems. so give it a rest.

Quick Reply: Oil Drain Plug