3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transgo shift kit troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transgo shift kit troubles

I bought a Transgo 45RFE-HD2 shift kit a couple of weeks ago and put it in today, along with a fluid and filter(s) change. This is the second time I've changed fluid and filters so that part was no problem. Getting the valve body electrical harness unplugged was a bit tricky, as the Transgo instructions said to raise the release lever when it actually had to be pulled down to lift the plug from the transmission. When I got the valve body to the workbench the switch valve plug came out easily but the switch valve took a little tapping. I'd read that before and wasn't surprised. The new switch valve went in OK but the new switch valve plug wouldn't. I measured it and it was a .004" larger than the hole. I set it aside and took inventory of the other parts. I noticed that the instructions showed a washer that went under the UD piston spring but it wasn't in the kit. This is when I stopped to call Transgo.

I called Transgo's tech line and the tech (appropriately) asked which kit and what truck I had (45RFE-HD2 kit and a 2006 Dodge Dakota). Before I could say anything else he wanted to make sure I got the original switch valve out and I assured him I had. I then asked him about the switch valve plug and he said that it was OK to use the original, as there were valve bodies out with two different size holes for the plugs. I then asked him about the washer in the instructions and he said the picture was incorrect for my application and that the washer was not needed or included (?) He also advised me to use loctite on the screws when installing the HD piston cover.

I reassembled the valve body with the new switch valve, appropriate springs, sealing rings and expander wires and put it back together with the new HD cover supplied in the kit. I proceeded to install the valve body, new filters, etc. and filled it with fresh Castrol ATF+4.

I cleaned up the mess and tools, hooked up the battery and fired it up. I let it idle for about a minute to circulate oil before I put it in gear. Boy was I disappointed when the truck didn't move! I thought "don't panic, it's probably working air out of the system" so I left it in reverse and after about 30 seconds it started moving so I backed it out of the garage. When I put it in drive the same thing happened. I took it down the road about a mile to see if it just needed to go through the gears and flush everything, but I barely made it home. I stopped halfway down my driveway and turned if off a minute to think what might be wrong. When I cranked it back up, it wouldn't move in forward or reverse and I had to push it to the end of my driveway. After my wife got home from work I borrowed her car and went to get more transmission fluid, since it'll be coming apart again!

Here's where I am right now on possibilities;

1. The picture in the instructions shows it disassembled and upside down. I didn't split the case so I had to leave it sitting upright, with the harness connector pointing up. That leaves everything in the reverse order on the instructions. I knew that, so I was meticulous in working through the process (or at least I thought I was....,)

2. In comparing the original cover to the Transgo HD cover I noticed that the original cover was stamped where it sits over the OD piston so that it sits into the piston area by .1" so that it would "pre-load" the OD Piston spring by that amount. The HD cover is not stamped so it is not pre-loading the OD piston spring. That spring is one of the new ones in the kit and I didn't compare their lengths so I don't know if they compensated for it or not but I'll be asking that question tomorrow and measuring them when I take it back apart.

I've attached the instruction page and a picture of the original piston cover for reference. All I can say for now is that I'm glad I don't go back to work until Friday morning....,

Last edited by djsilver; 06-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

Is returning it to stock an option for now? I'm sorry I can't really help, but hopefully someone who has dealt with this kit can help.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
rengnath
Champion

Just something I noticed when looking at the reprogramming kit for mine was everyone has it for sale for the 545rfe transmission UP UNTIL 2005. The shift kit is listed for all of the 45rfe and 545rfe transmissions, but for the reprogramming kit every seller on ebay and many websites list it for 99-05. I sure hope this isnt the case for you. LB has the reprogramming kit installed on his 05 Dakota, so you could try asking him.

Here is a link to the 45rfe-hd2 reprogramming kit I was looking at on Ebay. Im not sure if the seller's description is accurate or not.

Last edited by rengnath; 03-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

I don't think the transmission has changed mechanically since 2005. Moe's Performance shows the kit as fitting up to a 2008 Ram/Dakota.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
djsilver
Professional

Here's the follow up to the backyard mechanic screw-up on this project;

I called their tech line this morning and the guy was helpful and respectful (that means he wasn't condescending and didn't call me an idiot, even if he was thinking it...,)

He said that the transmission would still work even if I left out the springs and seals and put them in the wrong order. He suggested that I made a common mistake in not fully seating the grommet for the main filter suction neck. He asked how much fluid I had to put in to bring it to the cold mark and I told him 5 quarts. He said that wasn't enough and that the only reason it made the mark is because the pump wasn't getting suction. He went on to say that a improperly seated spin-on filter would do the same thing because the oil return from the cooler goes through the filter and then returns to the suction of the pump rather than to the sump, so that it's under suction.

I took everything apart and double checked my assembly of the valve body and found it to be correct. I couldn't really tell about the grommet since it came out with the filter, but I made sure to fully seat the next new one with a plastic screwdriver handle and brass hammer. I put it back together, filled it up (8 quarts) and it runs like a charm.

It doesn't chirp second gear but it is noticeably firmer than stock.

There are 2 errors and one goofy part in the instructions that come with the kit;

1. In the valve body removal instructions is tells you to lift up on the release mechanism for the main harness connector to disconnect it. In reality you have to pull down to release it.

2. The drawing shows a washer under the spring for the OD piston. It doesn't come in the kit and is a mistake in the instructions.

3. The new part labeled "switch valve plug" is too big. You have to use the original. The tech said that the transmissions came with two variations but there's nothing about it in the instructions.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
rengnath
Champion

Glad you figured it out! Drive it for a while and let us know how it feels after a while. I want to do one, but have heard that after a while you wont even feel the shift kit at times because the computer takes account for it and corrects the transmission settings. How long did it take you to install?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM
LB
Veteran

Glad you got it fixed, did you put the resistor in?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

theres actually a dodge tool for that press in filter gasket. it looks like a drive punch. thats the right way to do it.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM
djsilver
Professional

Originally Posted by LB
Glad you got it fixed, did you put the resistor in?
I actually bought a resistor at Radio Shack and put it in several months ago without the shift kit. I did feel a difference and it hasn't gone away over time. I have noticed that if I ease up to 60'ish it will not shift into high gear unless I lift and reapply the throttle. It doesn't seem to happen if I (very occassionally) level out at 55 or (more frequently) level out at 64.5mph ;-)

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit troubles