3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What is this awful noise? [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
marker227
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is this awful noise? [Video]

This noise happens every once in a while and it drives me NUTS. What is it?

The noise in the video is the creaking noise. It happens when I'm going slowly or fast.. It sounds like something is rubbing, but I can't figure it out.

I originally thought it would happen after I sprayed the truck down with a hose, but it's not wet today... I washed it a day ago.

The sound is coming from the rear of the truck. I want to say on the passenger side, but I can't quite place the sound in the vehicle. I do know the sound is behind my head and possibly to the passenger side like I said.

Any ideas? It's making me go mad .

Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let start by what Mods or service you have had done since you first started hearing this noise.

Did someone shove something between the bed of your truck and the cab? It would be hard to see if it is sitting on top of the rubber flap on the bed of the truck.

Is your spare tire loose?

If you grab the bed of your truck and wiggle it around do you hear the sound. Maybe lost a bolt that attaches the bed. (unlikely)

Heat shield? its about right under that passenger rear of the truck. Might be loose.

It does sound like rubber on metal or plastic on metal.
So check the exhaust hangers also

Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a,lmost the same noise in my truck but i just founf out what it was. Its my uupper controll arm in myu front end i think i gata lube it up. But i was thinking your exhaust hanger too.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

well u have a CQ i have a CC i had the same noise and it was one of those metal fasteners that connects the plastic on the rear passenger door to the metal door. apparently the guy before me had took it off and never connected it well enough and when i got the new speakers more bass was added and let it lose i just un screwed it abit and got it to fit in so it would come out again. Other words...just recheck ur doors i see u have a sound system in so suminthing came loose like one of the screws or something. If not check that rubber flap like Eimer123 said.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

I just had a rattleing from under my truck. the exhaust was "re welded" for some of the rusted hangers. When it is bent to go over the rear axel, it was pulled up enough to be hitting the tab for the bed that isn't attached to anything. Only happend at certin RPM's and after it warmed up. Something like this is a search and destroy kind of thing. Could be a few things, hopefully someone has pointed you in the right direction.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM
marker227
Professional

Okay, I just checked. It's definitely coming from the passenger side and it sounds like it's inside the cab.. No modifications have been done to the truck, except electrical things.

I looked under the truck and it doesn't appear that the exhaust is loose or anything.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

Originally Posted by marker227
Okay, I just checked. It's definitely coming from the passenger side and it sounds like it's inside the cab.. No modifications have been done to the truck, except electrical things.

I looked under the truck and it doesn't appear that the exhaust is loose or anything.

Check ur screws if there fine take it off probably something vibrating from when u put the system, just fine anything hanging ect in the door and wrap it up or tuck it somewhere where it wont vibrate.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

check your seat belts...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
marker227
Professional

Seat belts? My seat belts don't make that noise.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

i no but my seat belt was like all twisted up and i was on a bumpy road... and it was making the weirdest rattling noise it took me a day to figgur out wat it was so it doesnt hurt to check.

Quick Reply: What is this awful noise? [Video]