3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

control arms for my long travel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default control arms for my long travel

hello all. some might know about my long travel project. i got the lower arms made up and extended. i need to make a jig to start producing an exact copy of the lowers....but longer.

anyone that can find a dakota in a junkyard or maybe have access to some 2005-2006 lower arms that i could use for making the jig. ill pay for shipping both ways and for your time....

i still havent figured out the pricing if i were to sell the kit. the front is just about done and the rear will be a breeze....it will include some reaming of the spindles and possibly some cutting and welding of the upper strut mount to be replaced with a longer strut and a beefier mount.

but anyway yea. my dakota is my daily so i cant take the stock arms off for jig and R&D purposes because i need to get to work...

thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 AM
whistle pig
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It Would be great to have some new upper and lower control arms for a real lift. And some trick coilovers. With added lift in the front it will widen the stance from wheel to wheel. Will the stock dakota cv joints fit? Maybe use Ram 1500 if they"re longer? Keep us updated on the project

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

actually new control arms dont give you lift. and lift doesnt give you width.

the higher you go with stock control arms the shorter your width is. thats why im extending them 3" on each side. and it will use some long travel coilovers with reservoirs similar to fox or king....but more in MY price range..which is a local company for me called FOA

and im doing away with balljoints and using rebuildable uniballs and heims for the steering end...and with the coilovers i have picked out. it will be about a 6" lift from stock....and you cant reuse the coil spacer.

and since my truck is 2x thats what the kit will be for only. prerunner and race truck guys have 2wd but the 4wd class has custom made 4130 chromo axles in the front....so maybe once i get this kit on the road. someone will use it and make it for 4x

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Moneyman19
Captain

co what ur say is ur gonna make a 6'' kit? mmm sounds like winner to me. let us know how it comes out and plenty of pictures... i might be very interested into getting one i do have 4wd.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
whistle pig
Rookie

I see, you have a 2 wheel drive. And if you want to keep your balljoints at proper angles and lessen the angles of your cv joints you do have to widen the front with longer control arms. I do understand what your saying though. I mean thats the reason I dont put on a 5" spacer on top of my strut and call it good. My cv joints would bind, and my ball joints would last about 1 mile, not to mention alignment problems. Good luck. I love pre runner trucks, but in Co. I need the 4x4.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there ends up being a suspension lift for the 4x4s i would definetly buy it.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

well im doing away with junk balljoints. those are about as useless as as **** on a turtle.

im going with these bad boys.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

Originally Posted by 06dak287
those are about as useless as as **** on a turtle.

hey watch it my friends nickname is turtle and she has DD's

Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

lol ok well...useless as (enter your own analogy)

it wont really be a true 6" lift because if any of you know about prerunners or trophy trucks. they dont really sit that high off the ground. its more about usable travel from max extended to max compressed.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought here,
May I suggest using the ball joints from a Toyota or Chev, then you just have to build a flange to get them to mount to the truck, those are made to work better with a lift of this size.

at least, thats my understanding,

Quick Reply: control arms for my long travel