3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 - need new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
bregan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Well take the advise as you wish. I would go buy a oil pressure gauge and make sure you got oil pressure.
Thanks, I'll do that today as well. I want to use this truck as a learning platform anyway, which is the reason why i don't want to bring it to a mechanic. I'd like to turn into a little project and fix it as I go, doing as much of the work myself as possible.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
bregan

Can someone be so kind to listen to my engine and let me know if there is a knock or not? I don't hear it all anymore, at least not when listening to the actual engine. I made a recording... the first 30 secs or so is idling at 700rpms, then i kick it up to 3k, then 3.5, then 4k for a brief moment. It sounds good to me.

This is after I added a half a can of seafoam, drove 10 miles, change the oil, then I repeated the process one more time. I was watching the oil and it was clean, so I'm going to assume whatever caused my pressure to drop in the first place was a blockage that came free before these two oil changes. Could I be right?

Audio file is here, zipped up.

http://rapidshare.com/files/369725745/engine.zip.html

Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Good point...the light is going nuts, but perhaps it's just the oil PSI sending unit? Stranger things have happened.

And once a light goes on, you start "hearing" things...

If the enginestill has power and operates correctly, I would get it into a shop pronto. That way you can rule out a stupid / simple problem (sensor), or fix a severe problem while the engine is still viable.

If the engine is behaving poorly or lacks power, I would brace for impact...and take it to a good mechanic.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
all that I am hearing is noisy lifters...
Same here, doesnt sound abnormal

Quick Reply: 2005 - need new engine