3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

bad call from the shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad call from the shop

I am getting the truck ready for towing this summer and knew I needed brake work. So brought it to the shop I use for non warrenty things and I trust last night. Got a call this morning and they told me the following. Need brake pads and roters (thought I would with how it was stopping) here is where I was "supprised" Both outer tie rods need to be replaced, too much play in them. Transfer case and back pinion seal are leaking. SO I called a dealership to find out about warrenty coverage. Being a 05 with only 26,009 miles, they said the transfer and pinion would be covered but the tie rods are not. So I called back my shop and am having them add the tie rods to the repair list.

Now, I have a SC programmer and will put it back into stock mode when I get the truck back before I bring it to the dealer (it's in milage X now). Is there any way they can claim that this is the cause of the transfer case and pinion and not honor the warrenty???

Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

A tune would not affect your transfer case or rear pinion...so i would say no. If you have it in stock mode and bring it in, I doubt they will even know/care to look.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tuner really has nothing to do with it. If it were me, I would put it back to stock anyway, just to be safe.

But, your describing a pretty common problem with these trucks. My rear pinion seal began its slow leak at 34,000 miles, and was replaced under warranty in 30 minutes. Hasn't leaked yet and I am at 50k, but I would expect it to be leaking again at 70k since the first one went so fast!

The tie rod ends are junk. MOOG are the ones too buy, so if its not being covered, see if your shop will replace the ends with MOOG parts, and not the lower costing OE replacements made by some 3rd party company in china. As things start needing replacement on the front end, think MOOG.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

Monkey - I am planning on replacing my tie rods here in the next few weeks. Do you have a direct link or part # for the ones you would recommend. I ask you, only because I know you have had a ton of front end problems and figure that you have already tried what does, and does not, work :-)

thx

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

Listen, transfer cases leak after a few years... it's VERY normal. It's part of having a 4x4 truck. Don't think it was some outside cause....it happens eventually.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 AM
mprohr
All Star

Originally Posted by trucky
Listen, transfer cases leak after a few years... it's VERY normal. It's part of having a 4x4 truck. Don't think it was some outside cause....it happens eventually.
Nothing should ever break on my truck...ever....even when I am completely abusing it

Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 AM
mprohr
All Star

I would put it back to stock. Don't give them a reason to weasle.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

thanks. it is back to stock. mixed emotions on driving it now, it is riding really good and turning/brakeing better than I can remember, but the stock tune is *******. Even in the Mileage X tune it is so much better than stock. Can't wait till I get the warenty work done adn put it back. May need to run in 91 octane for a while just to make me feel better!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
whistle pig
Rookie

Wow Paul. I thought i was the oldest lowest mileage 05 Dak on here. I bought it 9 months ago with 21K on it. I have 30K on it now. Nice having the 7 yr. 70K warranty.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Whistle pig, We have 3 vehicles, Wifes DD is a 07 prius with 80,000 plus. I also have a 05 grand caravan with 38,000 on it. I would say I drive the truck the most but I really don't have a commute for work. I work from home. It's nice having the 2 dodges with low mileage and 05's. Should last a while. AND all 3 are paid off, no car payments.

Quick Reply: bad call from the shop