3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Honest opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Growlor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you are not not worried about mileage, then get the V8

Even if you aren't planning on doing anything zoomy on a regular basis, its nice to know you can when you want/need to.
Now let me scare you just a little bit. In 2008 they introduced some changes to the 4.7L V8 engine. It went from a base of 230ish HP (or 260ish for the high output models) to like 302 and got slightly better mileage rating. However, in the first few week/months (forget exactly) word/rumors started coming out about serious problems with the new engine (maybe thrown valves if I remember right.) I believe they may have even stopped shipping them for a bit (hopefully some of the guys on here remember more details/specifics than I do.) However, the problem was supposed to have been resolved and I haven't read anyhting about it since then, so I think its a thing of the past. If it was me though, I'd stear clear of any of the ones made from the early 2008 model year introduction until say Dec of 2007 just to be safe.
One last thing, the older models (I think all of them prior to the 2010) had terrible shocks. Not a problem in the way of reliability, but just kind of sad that they would bounce like a crazy after going over bumps. Only in the last year or so have aftermarket shocks to fix this even been available to buy (before that you just had to live with it.)

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
ryan_p17

That's nice to know. These are the things that I was looking for. I appreciate all the responses as I try and gain knowledge of this vehicle. I've owned nothing but imports to date, so the domestic stereotype of not being reliable is what I am worried about. With that being said, I'm not going to lay down $40k+ for a import SUV or truck capable of towing 4000lbs or slightly more. Then I start looking at 4x4 or AWD domestic SUV's and quickly relize they aren't exactly cheap, new or used, and consume nearly as much fuel as a mid size or full size truck. I'm looking at half the gas mileage now as my wife's current vehicle. It would be her daily driver. She drives mostly highway and the few kilometers she drives city, involves only 4 traffic lights. As it stands she puts in $40 (give or take) a week to travel to work, so the $80-90 a week in gas with the Dakota I could handle, especially considering the offroad capability compared to the Mazda Protege (lol). My dad has owned many ford, gm and dodge vehicles and has said that none have performed better than the other, but all did their job fine. Getting back to the previous post, how can you tell what year and month the vehicle was manufactured in? If I can't find out I guess I would just have to buy an 09 to try and avoid that V8 problem, even if it would cost me a few extra thousand dollars. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 AM
MrCrash
Veteran

I'd say go for the V8 myself as well. I had an 05 v6 auto Dakota for a couple years, then a Ram 1500 and now my 08 Dakota. The v6 was too slow for my taste (had a couple times where being able to get up and go would of saved me a lot of trouble), and I had trans issues (3rd gear blew up at 9k miles). Between the Ram and my current Dakota, I have had no trans issues, and I could see the v8 easily lasting just as long as the v6. I'm sure my experience with my 05 was not normal, but it ensured I'd never get another v6.

You mention more power increasing wear, but the reality is you may have more power in the v8, but you would need to use less of it to get things done versus the v6. Lets say it takes 200hp to move a load. If the v6 makes 235hp (or whatever it is), then you are using almost 100% of your motors capability. The v8 makes 302hp, so you would be using about 66% of it's capability. Assuming the drivetrain is designed to take 100% power as maximum, then you would be keeping a far less maximum load on everything to get the same job done. Maybe my view on it is wrong, but that's how I look at it

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ryan_p17
how can you tell what year and month the vehicle was manufactured in? If I can't find out I guess I would just have to buy an 09 to try and avoid that V8 problem, even if it would cost me a few extra thousand dollars. Thanks for all the help.
look insude the drivers side door most likely on the door it'll have a sticker with som specs VIN# and other jazz youl'll be looking for something along the lines 01/08 indicating month/year

that being said....

Originally Posted by Growlor
However, in the first few week/months (forget exactly) word/rumors started coming out about serious problems with the new engine (maybe thrown valves if I remember right.) I believe they may have even stopped shipping them for a bit (hopefully some of the guys on here remember more details/specifics than I do.) However, the problem was supposed to have been resolved and I haven't read anyhting about it since then, so I think its a thing of the past. If it was me though, I'd stear clear of any of the ones made from the early 2008 model year introduction until say Dec of 2007 just to be safe.
One last thing, the older models (I think all of them prior to the 2010) had terrible shocks. Not a problem in the way of reliability, but just kind of sad that they would bounce like a crazy after going over bumps. Only in the last year or so have aftermarket shocks to fix this even been available to buy (before that you just had to live with it.)
i nevr heard of this my manufacture date reads 9/07 now i havent had any real problems yet. some minor sweating around some seals no real leaks the truck has 80thou Km. shock are shot lol um any thing i should be looking/listening for..... or shouldi contacta dealer bout this and find out if there was a recall i never recived any mail......

Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

I have driven the 3.7 v6 w/ 3.21 gears and it was pretty anemic. I now have the 4.7HO v8 and it is much better, but still not ven as quick as most other trucks/suvs of this size. The suspension is junk on all models.

I do have a carseat in the back, but i had to put it in the middle because the carseat with the base was too big to put on one side behind the front seats. FWIW, i have the chicco keyfit car seat.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 AM
ryan_p17

Yea I know what you're saying about the car seat. I'm six feet talk 240lbs and the car seat takes up more room than I do. I have a labrador retriever too, so when we go on trips she'll have to sit next to the car seat so I'm hoping that won't be a space issue. To my advantage, she is a small lab at only 52 lbs. Do you have a picture of your car seat in the back and how close it is to the front seats? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you look at the specific truck you want, you will want to look over the front end. Mainly the condition of the ball joints, struts and the rack and pinion steering. The front end suspension seems to be where the biggest complaints have been. Have that looked over well.

Also, IMO, unless you can find a very very fair price for one of these trucks, you may want to consider a different pickup altogether. The price of one of these trucks brand new is astronomical, almost in the Full size truck range. I think these trucks are only worth it, if you can find a fair price.

I saw a 07 ST 4x4 with a V8 for $13,995 US by me recently. I would consider that a pretty fair price. I think the mileage was on par with its age too.

20k+ US is too much for one of these trucks used though.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM
ryan_p17

I'm in Canada so the prices seem a little high to you, but even though our dollar is almost at par, not many deals. I've searched around quite a bit and if I want to get a full size pickup or SUV with the same mileage, it would be between $5000-8000 more. That is why I am looking at the Dakota. Another reason is it will be my wife's daily driver and she didn't even want a truck, so now I have her convinced on a small truck, I'm not sure if I could push that to a full size truck. So the Dakota has everything I need, and more, and the size of it is perfect (considering i was going to looking at a ford escape), so that's where I stand now. Just looking for things that are mentioned in this thread, what to look for and such. Thanks for all the help. I won't be buying for a few months, just currently doing homework, as I do on all my vehicles before purchase.

Quick Reply: Honest opinions needed