3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CAI vs Fastman TB

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI vs Fastman TB

Hey guys,

So I have some cash from my birthday that I want to spend on an actual present instead of paying off bills. I have about $200, and I dont have any extra money to add to it so thats about all I can spend. So heres the question; Should I finish my CAI setup and buy the Airaid quickfit? (I already have the modular intake tube) Or, should I put the money towards a bored out throttle body from the fastman?

Im looking for the best bang for my buck when it comes to what I feel on the butt dyno. I currently have a K&N drop in, Airaid Intake Tube, MBRP dual exhaust, and the SC 91 performance tune.

My only concern is this; Im thinking about just doing the intake because Im not sure if the throttle body is going to work good with the SC tune. I dont want it to lean out my air/fuel mixture and cause problems. But on the other side, Im not sure how much the Airaid Quickfit is going to add being I already have a K&N drop in. (Correct me if Im wrong and it will make a difference) So what are your thoughts? If you could only add one, which would you do?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in order to get the most out of the fastman, you need to upgrade the intake tube. i would finish the intake tube. k/n drop in filters dont do much if you have the stock set up. finish the tube and you will be happy. i run a 70 mm tb with the k/n 63 series intake tube and love it, i also have the sct tuner, had the superchips, but was able to do more with the sct because of the nitrous. you will be happy with the intake and the tuner.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you actually notice a diffrence with a aftermarket TB

Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is some difference with the tb. not a kick in the pants difference, but cruiseing the highway the rpms are a little lower. you need less of a pedal to get truck moving from a stop. wot, the truck really gets up and goes. even better when the 125 shot of nitrous is injected into the motor, but the motor is a big air pump, more in more out more power.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH that makes sence lol thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 AM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks for your input superdak.
Ill probably end up doing both eventually but for now the intake is probably the one Ill go with. Its cheaper anyways. I want to figure out a way to get more cold air to the actual air box though, but there is no room in the engine compartment really to run a 3in ram air pipe from under the bumper to the air box.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by rengnath
Thanks for your input superdak.
Ill probably end up doing both eventually but for now the intake is probably the one Ill go with. Its cheaper anyways. I want to figure out a way to get more cold air to the actual air box though, but there is no room in the engine compartment really to run a 3in ram air pipe from under the bumper to the air box.
If you remove the clutch fan and add the electric it opens it up big time then you can run that 3" CAI tube down to your bumper at least it has on my 3.7.. I can change my oil filter from up top now and all kinds of other things with the fan and shroud out of the way.. Cya Slick

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by Slick Dakota
If you remove the clutch fan and add the electric it opens it up big time then you can run that 3" CAI tube down to your bumper at least it has on my 3.7.. I can change my oil filter from up top now and all kinds of other things with the fan and shroud out of the way.. Cya Slick
I really would want to do an e-fan for the extra 10hp except I think Im a little out of my territory in terms of ability to do it. Im gonna hold off on it until I start seeing more peoples set ups. If it was simply taking off my old fan and plugging in a new one, I would do it. But when it starts getting it to controllers with engine temps and A/C compressor switches, I get lost.

Theres enought room to get a 3 in pipe down to the bumper, but once I get up by the coolant res. it gets kind of crunched. I might be able to run on in from the bottom though. I took a look at it and theres a metal plate underneath the air box, so I just have to see what its there for. And I need to see how I can make a scoop that works with the bumper so air is "forced" up the tube.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i would make my own cai, and use the money leftover to buy the tb.
that just my opinion, alot ppl on here have more mods then me but just
have a homemade cai.

and getting rid of my clutch fan was my best mod to date.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by rengnath
I really would want to do an e-fan for the extra 10hp except I think Im a little out of my territory in terms of ability to do it. Im gonna hold off on it until I start seeing more peoples set ups. If it was simply taking off my old fan and plugging in a new one, I would do it. But when it starts getting it to controllers with engine temps and A/C compressor switches, I get lost.

Theres enought room to get a 3 in pipe down to the bumper, but once I get up by the coolant res. it gets kind of crunched. I might be able to run on in from the bottom though. I took a look at it and theres a metal plate underneath the air box, so I just have to see what its there for. And I need to see how I can make a scoop that works with the bumper so air is "forced" up the tube.
I wish you where closer I would give you a hand, I was kinda freaked at first but after I did it I was like I was a wuss LOL.. I did not hook up the ac, but if I find it to be a problem I will well good luck and maybe if I get time I will do a write up on how easy the install was.. Cya Slick

Quick Reply: CAI vs Fastman TB