3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

ethinal in fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinartist
I guess I'm kinda' confused. I've been around racing for years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of ethanol/methanol causing a problem of burning down engines compared to gasoline.

Alcohol based fuels have higher octane, and burn at a faster rate (and cooler) than fossil fuels, which makes more power and yields less fuel mileage, but shouldn't cause a leaning out or burning down problem in a combustion engine. If anything, the fuel mapping may need to be adjusted slightly, but that should curb any potential problem.

Like someone else said, one issue alcohol based fuels WILL cause is corroding elements of the fuel system if the vehicle wasn't designed for it. They will eat rubber and some plastics (hoses, gaskets/o-rings, etc), but flex-fuel automobiles are designed with that in mind. I would think though that too high a mixture of ethanol in a auto with a standard fuel delivery system could cause an issue of some corrosion.

Burning down your engine though? I'd like to see proof of that.
plenty of evidence out there do the research I am sure you will find it or pick up any boaters magazines or atv, snowmobile there all talking about it..Cya Slick

Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
moparmaniac1999
Professional

rengnath, i live near madison and the shell stations and kwiktrips have 0 ethanol, i use only shell gas myself. wish i could afford the 0% ethanol better mpgs from what i found driving my dads 07 gmc sirrea, had that thing for like six months and i shut down to four cylinders and hwy speed and only got 15.7 mpg. after i put shell premium no eth. in it as i was required by my dad so i could keep it for a while

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Bugz2008
Amateur

My 08 Flex fuel Dak 4.7 H.O. runs like a scalded dog on E-85, I have looked at quite a few dynos with E-85 versus 93 octane, and for the most part E-85 produces 3 to 5% horse power gains.

Motors are ruined by E-85 because they aren't set up right to run it.. generally you need higher pressure at the fuel rail, and/or bigger injectors..other wise the motor runs extremely lean, and running a motor lean, well..yeah you will burn a motor down.

Most flex fuel vehicals simply increase the fuel rail pressure when this lean condition is picked up by the sensors.. but they also have different O-ring seals etc because E-85 is corrosive.

The need to increase volume of fuel, also decreases MPG... however, the Kroger near me is currently selling E-85 for 1.98 a gallon, while 87 is 2.73, My truck loses roughly 3 miles per gallon on E-85, it drops from the mid 17's, to mid 14's..

You really have to do the math to see if the difference in price is worth it... base your calculations on 100 miles.. for instance, on E-85 it takes about 7.14 gallons at 1.98 a gallon, so 14 dollars...on 87 it takes 5.88 gallons @ 2.73 a gallon, so it costs 16 dollars. So at the current difference in price for me..it costs me 2 dollars less per 100 miles.

More Horsepower+ cheaper to drive...whats not to like about E-85? And you will only burn a motor down if its not set up right to run on it.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
rengnath
Champion

Moparmaniac, I thought the whole state went to 10% ethanol but I guess not. I did come across a BP just east of Oconomowoc that had no ethanol in half of its pumps, but I figured it was just a special case where they had some. Now if only it was economical for me to drive an hour from Milwaukee to fill up with gas .... hmm.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by rengnath
Moparmaniac, I thought the whole state went to 10% ethanol but I guess not. I did come across a BP just east of Oconomowoc that had no ethanol in half of its pumps, but I figured it was just a special case where they had some. Now if only it was economical for me to drive an hour from Milwaukee to fill up with gas .... hmm.
no your right most BP's dont have it in there gas thats why I shop there for my gas for my toys dont wanna take any chances.. there has been a long thread in another forum on this subject about which gas staions dont have it in there gas and which ones do, it is supposed to be listed on the pump but you know how that goes.. Cya Slick

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
rengnath
Champion

At all the BPs by me it says may contain UP TO 10% ethanol on the pump so Im not sure what the content is. I just like it because I personally feel its a better quality fuel than the corner gas station that probably waters their fuel down. If Im paying $2.89 for 93 octane Ill break down and pay the extra $.05 to go to Bp.

Speaking of BP, if youre in need of a good laugh read this: http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR
Its not actually BP, its someone who hijacked the BP name. But if you read far enough some of the posts are hilarious making fun of BP and their oil problems in the Gulf.

Quick Reply: ethinal in fuel