3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Duplicolor chrome shadow coating "black chrome"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duplicolor chrome shadow coating "black chrome"

Well I finally got around to trying this stuff out on my chrome grill, it sucked big time.. It came out of the can uneven in other words you would get dark droplets of pigment which stood out from the transparent coating this stuff was supposed to be.. Well what to do now only black paint I had on hand was some black brake caliper and brake drum paint, well it worked great nice black look on my grill now with 6 coats of clear over the black paint.. Its out drying in the garage will put the grill back on the truck monday should be plenty dry by then will posts picks.. Cya Slick

Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
rengnath
Champion

Hey Slick,

Sorry to hear that black chrome didnt work out for you. Ive never tried it just because I know how hard spray paint is to get even in general. I cant imagine getting that stuff to look the same across the whole grille even if it came out of the can right.
Cant wait to see the pics.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Well I installed the grill back on the truck and decided to night shade the headlights looks good.. I have a slight fog from the clear coat on the headlights, when they fully dry I am going to polish them up a little and see if it gets ride of that light fogging but overall I am happy.. I have had more compliments on my truck, I guess I am doing a fairly good job on it.. I guess the next question is should I line-X the nerf bars and does it seem like to much black on the front end of the truck now that I painted the grill, I can always drop it off at a paint shop and have it painted red to match the truck..Cya Slick

0524001400.jpg

CIMG2656.jpg

CIMG2654.jpg

Last edited by Slick Dakota; 05-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metalcast smoke right? That stuff sucks. I spent a good while prepping my grill properly before using it and it's all flaking off now.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by Altair
Metalcast smoke right? That stuff sucks. I spent a good while prepping my grill properly before using it and it's all flaking off now.
no it was called shadow chrome, I did see the stuff you where talking about but no this stuff is supposed to make black chrome and it just sucked big time LoL, thank goodness I had the drum brake paint on hand it says it done chip even better.. Cya Slick

Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

Looks good! I'm curious to see how it holds up. If it doesn't start flaking off, I might have to try the same stuff on my rims. What all did you do to prep the chrome?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by MrCrash
Looks good! I'm curious to see how it holds up. If it doesn't start flaking off, I might have to try the same stuff on my rims. What all did you do to prep the chrome?
Not much really, I followed the instructions on the can of the shadow coating which was not much.. The hardest part to doing the grill and headlights and grill was getting 100% all the bug guts off, I had to wet sand the headlights with 1500 grit sand paper then polish them back out.. as for the grill just cleaned it well and sprayed the shadow coating on, it may be some kind of self etching primer or some thing I am not sure.. I figured as soon as I noticed I did not like the way it was coming out I figured time to spray some real black paint on it.. What I had on hand was that blck brake and drum black paint, it supposed to be tough and not chip I guess I will see how it works out.. Cya Slick

Last edited by Slick Dakota; 05-25-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Dropped the truck off at the paint shop to get front and rear bumper repainted "same color" I had some scratches on the body the paint shop is going to take car of as well.. He is going to use a singe stage paint because it is alot harder and can resist chipping.. I drive 500 miles a week back and forth to work and the front bumper get sand blasted with rock going down the freeway.. So it will be nice having it look like new again, so maybe another 44000 miles before it needs it again LOL,, Cya Slick

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
dk06

great lookin truck actually juss signed up to this forum cuz i saw it lol im lookin to lift my truck been searchin for wats the best way to go about it wat kinda lift u got wit wat size tires if u dont mind me askin?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

thread resurrection!

Quick Reply: Duplicolor chrome shadow coating "black chrome"