3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dak Sway Bar link

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
mattio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dak Sway Bar link

Hello again
I had a front sway bar link break off. I figured it would be easy to get at NAPA or some other jobber that sells aftermarket suspension parts. This is not the case at all.
There is no listing for the front links at all ($@&%)....rear only. It is not like it is an exotic part by any means. The dealership is going to charge me $99.00 PER side (holy crap). $99 seems a crazy price for a 6" friggin bolt with rubber washers.
Is there another part that I can use?? (maybe from a more common model), or am I stuck getting OEM parts from dealership??.
let me know if anyone else has encountered this.

thanks
Matt

2005 Dak SLT 4x4 Clubcab

Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Try rockauto.c0m

Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old toyota disconnect kit

Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattio
Hello again
I had a front sway bar link break off. I figured it would be easy to get at NAPA or some other jobber that sells aftermarket suspension parts. This is not the case at all.
There is no listing for the front links at all ($@&%)....rear only. It is not like it is an exotic part by any means. The dealership is going to charge me $99.00 PER side (holy crap). $99 seems a crazy price for a 6" friggin bolt with rubber washers.
Is there another part that I can use?? (maybe from a more common model), or am I stuck getting OEM parts from dealership??.
let me know if anyone else has encountered this.

thanks
Matt

2005 Dak SLT 4x4 Clubcab
They are ripping you off, I've had to buy 3 of them so far and they are $60 each from a dealer, try a different dealer or tell them you're not happy about getting shafted and see if they bring it back to normal. You can also check rockauto, other than them I don't know of anyone other than the dealers to get these from.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie

I got mine from the dealer-at the time there was no aftermarket replacement. Still not sure if there is any company who makes them. Took them to someone else "better known" and cheaper in town and got them put on for $20 each.

If you can't do them yourself, I'd try finding some "small guy" who owns a shop that will do it cheaper.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
bomberboysk

Sway bar linkages can be replaced quite easily, just takes a ratchet, wrech, and 10-15 minutes from my experience having to change both on my dads '05 dakota 4wd. Both ends were sheared off, with the top half of the linkage missing on both sides, and there was quite a bit of oxidation so they were broken for awhile...noticed it when was putting new pads/rotors on the front of it. Ended up buying them from a dodge parts store online, as rockauto, napa, advance auto, orielly's, autozone, etc didnt carry them.

This is where we got ours from, had to call them as i couldnt find the linkages on their website(was ~3 months ago):
https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

IIRC they cost ~$40.

Last edited by bomberboysk; 06-09-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

i got mine at rockauto.com cheaper and better than the dealer. i think they were $73.00 with shipping for the pair and you can grease them! :-)

Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
mattio
Exclamation Stabilizer link Update and important torque info.

thanks for all of the info folks.
I priced these links around all of the local dealers, and the $99 was indeed the best price from my local guy (dealer cost might be higher here in Canada anyway). So I had to buy one as I would pay the difference in shipping and exchange anyway.
One word of caution. The 2005 Dodge Service Manual that is available on this site is incorrect on the torque for this stabilizer link. It states the bottom nut to be 125 ft.lb. This aint the case at all. I found this out after my local dealer wondered how much torque I put on it to shear it off. Yes....I twisted the bolt off (tsk tsk). The actual words were a tad more colourful than that.
The dealer specs the torque for the lower nut at 75 ft.lbs NOT 125 ft.lbs and 17 ft.lbs NOT 27 ft lbs for the upper nut as listed in manual.
I was actually very lucky that I did get it locally, as he did me a huge favour and put it under warranty, and handed me a new one..whew.
So double check your torque specs.

thanks again.

Matt

Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
cydian

can anyone tell me if the correct end links from rock auto is this part # ... MOOG Part # K750263. It doesnt have a pic so im not sure if its the right one for an 06 dakota

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
jakersinMT

The loud thumping that I could feel through the floor board on the driver side finally got bad enough for me to take a look underneath and sure enough, the front sway bar linkage sheared off on top. My question to you guys is, do you need the truck to be jacked up to change this out? Or can it just be done by getting underneath? Thanks.

2007 Dakota

Quick Reply: 05 Dak Sway Bar link