3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rock crawling

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
nicholas9393
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock crawling

just a funny story i thought i would post. i was on my way to my budddies wedding and i figured i would take the short cut between 29 palms and big bear. just so happed that i had to go through a national forest and a few mountains . well ok i was late to his wedding and felt like a total douche, but my 05 dak and mickey thompson mtz's made it through a few hours of decent trails and some pretty bad *** rock crawling that i didnt think was possible for our limited ground clearance. i wont doubt my truck any more

Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star

LOL that is great

Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Robk1971
Professional

Sounds like a blast! Part of the point of having a truck; curbs, medians, national forests, and in my case public parks are just that much less of an obstacle.

Having done some similar offroading lately I found the approach and departure angles of the truck more of an issue that ride height. I drove over some rocky trails without a problem but when I tried climbing a steep grade I ended up burying the trailer hitch and wiring connector. Same when comming down a steep grade, the front bumper bottomed a bit.

Next time I do that, I'm bringing a chainsaw for all those low lying trees over the trails. I hate the sound of branches scraping against the truck!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
nicholas9393
Professional

haha yeah. but all the shrubs n stuff out here in the desert has already wreaked havoc on my paint so i dont really care anymore. when i bought my truck it was perfect, now its got scratches running the length of the truck on both sides

Quick Reply: rock crawling