3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Talking about batteries!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
ND Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talking about batteries!!!

OK, I still have my original battery in my 2005 Dakota. It hasn't given me any problems yet but I'm thinking about putting a new one in come winter time.

This is probably going to open a "hornets nest" but who's got what and why???

I don't get to excited about advertisements as THEY always have the best one.

I don't know if it's worth the extra bucks to get an "Optima".

Lay it on me, what do you folks think???

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

i'm on that same boat, more or less. my truck still has the factory battery, but mine is an 07' and ive been thinking about a optima battery. i have heard mix opinions good and bad about them but you hear that for everything. i exchanged my wife's caravan battery yesterday after it failed for the first time, went o autozone for the warranty and the guy chuckled and when i asked him he said that i bought that battery in 2003, 7 years ago! so i bought a duralast gold with 850 cranking amps, 3 years no questions asked replacement and 7 years prorated warranty for $95.00. i thought it was a good deal.. sorry for the long reply!!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
rengnath
Champion

I had a factory battery in my truck when I bought it last spring, and it started strong. I just never wanted to take a chance here in Wisconsin with the bitter cold winter morning starts.

I went with the Duralast Gold with about 835 CCA if I remember correctly. The only battery I could find with more CCAs was a sears battery with 900 CCA, and it was double the price. The other selling points on the Duralast was the 3 year free replacement, 8 year warranty, and it was under 90 bucks. One year later and still going strong. It started on 0 degree mornings without hesitation.

If youre going to be doing the cold morning starts, get the most cold cranking amps you can. Cold Cranking Amps is measured at 0 degrees F, and Cranking Amps is measured at 32 degrees F. If you look, you can see you loose a substantial amount of power in that 32 degree range. A battery is something you shouldnt go cheap on.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For me I don't trust nothing but Optimas. I was replacing my battery ever year with Duralast Gold The TOP battery autozone ect had. I first bought a Red top and that lasted 8yrs with EXTREME use. They are worth every penny.

I then had 2 yellow tops installed until I bought my 2nd vehicle. The truck donated 1 Optima to it.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

My '05 had the original battery until a month ago when one day it just didn't start, the guages didn't even turn on. I had already done extensive research and knew what I wanted. I had originally decided on Optima but found that the company had sent production to Mexico and return rate was reported to be 60%. I checked with a store that only sells batteries and they said their experience with Optima was that about 40% were returned.
I bought a Sears Platinum even though they cost $189 (same price as Optima). They have a 100 month pro-rated warranty. Since it is slightly smaller than stock. I had to fab a hold-down bracket. That took all of 15 minutes. Too soon to know anything about the battery but it works fine so far.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

I just buy the ones at Checker/Autzone/Napa, etc. I think I have a Duralast gold in there now with the 3 yr warranty (84 month prorated). Doesn't matter here in Phoenix though, my battery dies about every 2-2.5 years anyways because of the heat. The only reason I ever have to buy a new battery is when I have a new car that doesn't have one with a warranty on it yet!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
newmexicoram
Veteran

I've never had any failures using Interstate batteries.

Quick Reply: Talking about batteries!!!