3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tie Rod Ends or Sway Bar Links?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveMyDakota
Hello, I am new to the Dodge Forum. I have a 2005 Dakota 4x2 V6 with 102,000 miles plus. Recently I had a new Rack-n-pinion installed. Now I have a Sway Bar arm that snapped while I was on a trip. How common is it for a sway arm to snap?
He must mean the sway bar end links. They snap all the time on these trucks. Best bet is to spend the cash to get the new Dodge brand ones. I personally replaced mine with the rock auto replacements and they are a huge improvement, but dimensionally they are no different then the ones that came on my 06.

If dodge truly did beef there replacements up, it will be worth spending the extra money to get them.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill be ordering mine from a dodge parts supplier just so I can get the bushings and all new hardware. Ill take some pictures once I get them.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bad end link can not necessarily be moved by hand. I had a bad one that seemed tight and would not move at all. However, when I opened the door and used it's leverage to rock the truck back and forth, there was one spot in the articulation that made a clunk

Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
rengnath
Champion

Mine moves very slightly. It makes no noise when I move it though. Im just going to try and replace the links and bushings in hope that it will take care of the clunk.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
rengnath
Champion

I have confirmed that my problem is coming from a bad link on the passanger side. The sway bar doesnt move much when I try to move it, but if I grab the link and move it up and down, I can hear it coming out of place. The one on the drivers side doesnt do it, and it is only the passanger side making all the noise.

Ill be replacing all the bushings and links on the sway bar with parts from here. http://dodgeparts.mopar.com/dodge/dakota-parts.html
Thanks for your input guys.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM
bigb3630123

I just had an end link snap and I figure it wont be too bad to fix this however.... My front passenger side tire seems to be suddenly grabbing almost like a caliper is grabbing. It didn't do this until just now. Could the end link have something to do with this?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM
rengnath
Champion

New sway bar links are installed. Ordered Mopar sway links for an 08-10 Dakota, and they seem much better than what came on my 05. Both of the stock ones were broke, and by installing the new ones my front end is now silent The nuts holding the links to the sway bar were torqued to 25 ft lbs, and the nuts holding the links to the control arms were torqued to 80 ft lbs. The hardest part is getting the broken and worn links off. The tops of the old links ended up snapping off, and I needed to use a vice grips to hold the links on the bottom while I loosened those nuts. The new links required me to re-use the two bottom nuts, and they supplied me with two new nuts for the tops.
Swaylink.jpg
I ordered from moparpartsamerica.com
Part number 5135731AC

Last edited by rengnath; 07-21-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends or Sway Bar Links?