3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Can anyone elaborate on these tranny MIL codes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone elaborate on these tranny MIL codes?

Hey guys,
Went to leave work today to go to lunch, started the truck and put it in to drive immediatly after my hand left the key. Normally I let the truck warm up for a second or two, but I was in a hurry today. The truck started moving, but then it felt like the truck was in 4lo. The rpms would raise and the truck would lurch forward slightly. Pulled it out on to the street and the MIL light came on and the truck had no power in the low end. Im guessing it was in LIMP mode. In the nearest parking lot, I pulled the codes up and this is what I got:
P0700 - TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM (MIL REQUEST)
P0876 - UD PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY
After I cleared them I started the truck up and it ran normal. I changed gears back and forth a couple times while parked, and nothing unusual. I took it back out on the road, drove it hard and it is still fine.

P0700 is a pretty generic code from what I found with a google search, and is just sent to trigger the engine light.
P0876 on the other hand is the one Im questioning. Anyone have any idea what it is, or what sensor/switch it involves in case I have to start looking at replacing it?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it once before. An incorrect filter was put into the tranny and came loose causing the system to loose pressure and it popped that exact code.

Have you changed tranny fluid/filters lately?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
rengnath
Champion

I had the pan dropped and filters changed professionally about 20k ago

Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it does it again, I would drop the tranny pan and check to ensure you actually have the 4x4 filter as its different from the 2wd. A couple of years back the Pepboys in VA had a special offer on a tranny fluid/filter change. I said what the heck. The one time I paid someone else to do something for me they screwed it up.

About four months and 5k later I flipped a pressure switch rationality code and the truck would not shift gears so I had to get it towed. When I dropped the tranny pan I found they took a 4x4 filter and trimmed the metal fitting with a dremel to make it fit. Pepboys wrote me a check for $1,000.00 after my lawyer sent them a notice.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM
rengnath
Champion

Oh wow! I sure hope that isnt the case, but I sure hope if the light comes on again it will be an easier fix like that. I took it to a transmission shop in hopes that they knew what they were doing. Im hoping it was just a fluke, and the light came on because I shifted out of park so fast. I have never done that before, I always let the truck run for a few seconds.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLOWN 287 is right...this happened to my truck when the wrong filter was put on and it happened like 5K after the filter was put on and my truck was running all kinda funky...but the dealership saw their mistake and said no worries we'll takecare of this charge free...they did thats the ony thing i've ever got for free!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
rengnath
Champion

Im thinking my problem came in that I put the tranny in drive and drove it right away after starting the truck, and there wasnt enough pressure built up yet and it could possibly be the filter. It hasnt happened since, and Ill probably be taking the truck in around september to get the pan dropped and the differentials serviced. Thanks for you input guys.

Quick Reply: Can anyone elaborate on these tranny MIL codes?