3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

PCM Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay....so is this mean its bad news about the tuner 3865? when you get your 3865 do you have to update it on the internet as soon as you get it?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

i believe that is true because they have no idea how long that tuner has sat on a shelf before it was sold, so you need to update it first thing to make sure it has the latest software on it.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated mine right away to get the latest firmware. Better to be safe than sorry. Technically, nothing bad can happen if you dont though. Either it will tune your truck, or you will end up getting an error code that requires you to update the tuner.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
thecause17
Veteran

It looks as though I finally got everything straightened out with mine. I got the final update I needed last night for the trans control and my original issue with my torque management settings is gone. Finally, what a headache along the way...

Now I feel like I'm way behind on this. I never experiemented with my shift points or torque management. I do have one spreadsheet that someone (might have been you rengnath) posted back in May, and I've been looking at that today to see what I want to do.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
rengnath
Champion

This is a website I created to help out fellow members:
http://dakotasctranschedules.awardspace.biz/sc.html
Its basically everything I know about the transmission tuning. If you read through it and I didnt cover something or you want me to elaborate, feel free to PM me.

I have a schedule posted on the site right now, and an updated "aggressive" schedule of it at home that isnt uploaded yet. I can post it up later tonight. What I found though is that the Superchips schedule performs much better. I tuned the transmission with my aggressive schedule with my brother in the truck, and he said it felt like the truck was going no where when it hit the 1-2 shift almost like something was slipping. So now I just run with reduced torque managment around 10%.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Thanks for the advice on the torque management. I actually had mine the opposite way for the partial throttle settings, but it makes sense what you did with yours, so I switched mine around, ranging from 20-50% in the partial throttle positions (yes I'm staying conservative) and 10% with the WOT settings. It was strange on mine that my 2up partial throttle stock setting was 0%. I changed this to correspond to the others, and have noticed an improvement in that shift.

As far as the shift points, I'm going to have to make up my own spreadsheet. My stock settings are different than any of the spreadsheets that I've seen that you or anyone else has, so I've decided to start a spreadsheet with my own stock numbers, and start out with similar changes to what others have done, and go from there. This truck isn't my daily driver, but I still do not want an aggressive set. I'm looking for more of an overall improvement.

It would be nice if we could at least view what the Superchips preset numbers are. There are things that I like about their schedules, but also things that I don't. It would be nice to be able to at least view their numbers, and make out own schedules based off theirs, but tweaked to our liking. Has anyone asked them if we could get this info?

Have you or anyone else played with the O/D off schedule? I may tweak this more for towing.

Also, what is the "Low" shift schedule?

Last edited by thecause17; 07-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
rengnath
Champion

Superchips wont release any of their numbers.

I havent played with my OD off schedule because I dont have an OD off button .... only a tow/haul since mine is an 05.

The low schedule is for when you put your transfer case in to 4wd lo instead of hi.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by rengnath
I havent played with my OD off schedule because I dont have an OD off button .... only a tow/haul since mine is an 05.
That's what I have too. As far I knew they were pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
rengnath
Champion

No, tow/haul is seperate from the PCM from what I understand so you wont be able to program your OD off shift schedule to work with it. If you do want OD off, I have read you can go to the dealer to get your PCM reflashed so the tow/haul button functions as your OD Off button.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
thecause17
Veteran

That doesn't make much sense. If all this transmission control is controlled through the PCM, why would the tow/haul be separate? These transmissions arent like the older truck transmissions which had a separate O/D unit, which I will agree was controlled separately.

Last edited by thecause17; 07-21-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: PCM Location