3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

PCM Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 AM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Location

Can someone tell me the exact location of the PCM? I'm pretty sure I know where it is but I'd like someone to confirm for me before I start taking thing out.

Due to a botched update from Superchips, my truck no longer runs and I need to send both the PCM and my programmer to them.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM
dakotajerry
Veteran

It's under the hood on the passenger side in the corner by the firewall. Right next to the AC drier.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Was it something with the tuner? Which SC are you running?

Originally Posted by dakotajerry
It's under the hood on the passenger side in the corner by the firewall. Right next to the AC drier.
BINGO!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Was it something with the tuner? Which SC are you running?

BINGO!
They're not sure what happened, that's why they want everything sent back to them. It's a 3865.

The reason there was even an update for me was because ever since the trans control update came out, I have not been able to adjust my torque management settings because the numbers go all goofy after you exit out of the menu. I opened a trouble ticket on this with them in May. Finally got somewhere with it last week when they informed me that my factory operating system has some irregularities, but there were later revisons of it that were normal. So the plan was to update my stock file to a newer version so that everything would function normally. I was told this would be no different than the dealer doing it...

So I got the update yesterday morning, and when I went to install it into the truck, the tuner came up with an error at the end of programming and never installed the software, but of course, it had already deleted my original stock file. After numerous attempts with tech support and their engineering yesterday to recover it, we made no progress, so I've had to send everything to them overnight, so they can take care of it there and overnight it back to me.

Last edited by thecause17; 07-15-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
rengnath
Champion

Thats sucks cause17. Did anything ever come up that you installed the update prior to the official release for the 4.7s?

I hope everything works out for you.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM
thecause17
Veteran

There's not been an issue with that and they do know that I did. The problem I'm having has nothing to do with any performance tuning. The issue now is with the loss of my stock file and why the tuner won't program the one they gave me, which is now in the tuner. My original file seems to be the source of the original problem, not their update. The problem at hand now however, is their fault. If I would've know this was going to happen, I would've taken it to the dealer and had a flash update done.

It definately does suck. It's a good thing that I have another car to drive, otherwise I'd be without a vehicle. Yesterday I had to tow the truck up the driveway with the Neon because it was blocking my wife's car.

I just hope they turn it around as fast as they're saying. I shipped it out thismorning and they're saying they're planning on a Saturday delivery back to me.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well I hope everything works out. Keep us updated!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
thecause17
Veteran

I got my PCM back today and installed it and the truck is running fine. I have yet to tune it though and probably won't be until sometime during the week. They must have reset the tuner completely as I was told that I will need to get the trans control update again, which will be available for me free of charge after I tune the truck.

So so far so good.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thecause17, was thinking of your situation last night at 11pm...Got out of work and went to fire my truck up, the gauge cluster went nuts..I had a T-81 error with the Superchips Mileage tune, they had to add my truck to the database (all other tunes worked fine).

Was running the mileage tune for 2 days since they made a "custom" tune for me, then this happens...

I drove the truck for 10 miles (no AC, no speedo, but everything else worked fine) and then threw the tuner on it to see what the deal was...it lost the calibration for the speedo!

I returned the truck back to stock, everything cleared. I dunno, I may return this thing...not liking all the bugs I hear/see.

On another note, the Mileage tune was the best tune I tried (except for the harsh downshift that happens once and a while at around 14mph). Not sure if it helped with mileage, though

Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 PM
thecause17
Veteran

I understand there will be some bugs any time you deal with software.

Most of the time it seems that when Superchips has a problem it's mostly due to a different version of software or variations in the code from truck to truck.

I will give them credit for taking care of the problem as quickly as they could. I'm in PA and they're in FL and the truck went down Wednesday and it's back up and running today. My only beef with them at this point is that it took 2 months for them to deal with my original issue.

Quick Reply: PCM Location