3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'06 headlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could never get to that back one from the top. Either my hands are too big or I'd have to dismantle everything there to get to it.

Yeah, you could still get a good DNA sample from me having replacing my headlight assemblies last year from underneath, twice...

And the back one took a socket, a 10 mm if I recall.

Like I said, I hope to not have to do it again...

Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
drewp
Amateur

I was away for a couple of days. I'm going to "play" w/ this on Tuesday. Eric, what do you mean by "pull the 2 under where the little bumps allow you to get a driver in"? The ones by the radiator I understand. I don't see any space (or minimal...not enough to see a bolt) between the light and the plastic bumper cover. The replacement assemblies I plan to install appear to have only 3 holes where bolts would go. Sorry to be beating a dead horse over this...but I want to have a good idea of what to do before I start messing w/ it.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM
drewp
Amateur

Never mind.....Just saw what you're talking about! Looks like it should be straight forward...Thanx

Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 PM
mountainmike

Just going to add to this for prosperities sake.

I have an 08 and just finished replacing the headlight bulbs using the instructions in the manual that came with the truck. There are two bolt on the bottom of the light housing. These two are accessed from the gap between the top of the bumper skin and the bottom of the headlight housing. The third is accessed, with the hood open, from the upper inside corner of the housing. Once the three bolts are out you just pull hard to pop out the ball and socket that is in the upper outside corner....easy peezy lemon squeezy.

If you're crawling under the truck or dismantling the battery tray/air box...you're doing it wrong.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 AM
RJPG

Anyone that could help me find the Dummy guide to perform headlights alignment on a Dakota 05 PLEASE!!!???

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by RJPG
Anyone that could help me find the Dummy guide to perform headlights alignment on a Dakota 05 PLEASE!!!???
easy really, but you only have up and down adjustment. On the inside edge of the headlight (closest to the grill), there is a torx head adjustment screw located between the top and bottom mounting screws. If you pull back the rubber covering you will see it. (gotta open the hood). Turn it one way to raise the light, the other way to lower it.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a very sensitive adjustment...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
easy really, but you only have up and down adjustment. On the inside edge of the headlight (closest to the grill), there is a torx head adjustment screw located between the top and bottom mounting screws. If you pull back the rubber covering you will see it. (gotta open the hood). Turn it one way to raise the light, the other way to lower it.
I figured it did side to side, not up and down lol my headlights are low I figured I was stuck with it lol
Thats good to know. Now if it wasnt raining.... lol

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

Ok, looks like ya'll got it figured out. I've removed mine several times and yes the adjustment for alignment is very sensitive even on my aftermarket lights. I'm still trying to get mine straight.

Quick Reply: '06 headlight removal