3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

pics of new rotors & painted calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
bain64
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
bedding the pads isnt tough, just follow the directions that they sent with the rotors.
Yea I know I will get pulled over for this, the instructions say to brake from 45-5mph ten to twenty times in a row. I'm still trying to figure out the best place to do this.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

i like the red with the stock 17" chrome wheels, not too much shows through, but eh so you can tell something custom was done.... what is the bedding thing with brake pads? is that just something with dimpled and slotted rotors? I have never done that or had to do that with any vehicle when replacing rotors/pads (but I have never had performance rotors/pads).

Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
rengnath
Champion

Its something you can do with all brake pads and rotors to help prevent warping and get the best braking performance. It basically involves doing several slow downs and accelerations to heat up the rotors and get the perfect amount of pad transfer to the rotors so that stopping will be its best. And by heating up the rotors in a controlled manor like you do while bedding in the pads and letting them cool down afterwards, it will prevent warping later on when you are doing normal driving and end up slamming on the brakes.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

aha.....wonder why the parts places (oreillys, auto zone, etc) never mention doing that.....I have been doing my own brakes for (giving my age here) 20+ years and have never heard of doing this until i got on here.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
rengnath
Champion

I tried doing it with my new brakes when I had them done this spring and all I noticed was the smell of burning brakes when I parked the truck, but the truck does stop pretty decent. It makes sense if you read how bedding is done because if you put on new brakes and just start driving normal on them, you could ruin them pretty fast depending on your driving habits. I was always told when I got new brakes on my old truck to "just take it easy for a couple hundred miles" and I never had problems. So Im not sure if its necessary for regular brakes. Basically, its like putting your brakes through the worst possible braking and letting them cool off so they can put up with normal driving with little chance of warpage.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
bain64
Veteran

I did thirteen 50-5 stops to bed the pads. They were smoking a bit for a few minutes after I parked. The brakes are silent, I love it. I need to grease the brake pedal just a bit though, as sometimes it squeaks a bit.

JKeaton, I've been told that this heat cycling of the pads/rotors can solve glazing and some minor squeals.

Quick Reply: pics of new rotors & painted calipers