3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racinartist
So even if you're going from one engine config to another it still works, as long as it's one that the 3865 supports? If so, sounds like you found a loophole that SC was trying to avoid.
No it's not a loophole. You can use that tuner on as many different vehicles you have that it supports BUT you can only have one tuned at a time. What they won't allow is one tuner being used to tune two vehicle simultaneously. They know you'll buy another tuner for your second vehicle because nobody wants to have to detune one and tune the other every time they switch which one they're driving. The tuner actually keeps track of the last 10 VIN's it was used on and when you plug it in it will say which one it's locked to if it is locked.

In summary, if a vehicle is currently tuned the tuner is locked to that vehicle. If no vehicle is currently tuned then the tuner is not locked.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

hey i appreciate this info! well considering my brother isn't gonna be down for transfering back and fourth so it looks like i'm gonna spend 339.00 for one which isn't bad...but on the tune on 91 octane it offeres what 21HP and 20TQ gain!? Does anyone who has this do you really actually feel it? and how is the gas saver do you notice a difference? cause i'm giong to be driving from Virginia To Texas which is a main reason i want to get this and i want to know if it makes gains in both scenarios noticeably...please let me know. Thank You

Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
Does anyone who has this do you really actually feel it?
Yes. I already had a K&N intake and exhaust when I got mine and noticed quite a difference in how the truck responded with the SC.

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
and how is the gas saver do you notice a difference?
Helped a little bit, I'm not the best one to ask though, I simply cannot keep my foot out of the throttle.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
I simply cannot keep my foot out of the throttle.
... +1

Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM
rengnath
Champion

I bought mine for performance. If I cared about fuel economy, I wouldnt have bought a truck with a v8. Plus, spending $300 for fuel economy would be pretty foolish unless you put on a ton of miles. It would take a long time to make that up. But performance wise ... now that I have it, I dont know how I could live without it. I turned my truck back to stock once and it seemed like a dog, and I realized THAT STOCK SHIFTING SUCKS! The superchips programmer is worth it just for the transmission tuning that they do. The cheapest place I found my flashpaq for was truckcustomizers.com. Every once in a while they will run a $10 off coupon. This was the best money I spent on my truck. My favorite mod was my exhaust because I love the sound, but the superchips made the biggest difference. And it holds it resale value really well.

Last edited by rengnath; 07-18-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I tried the gas saver tune briefly, just to see what the difference would be. There was no difference than the other tunes.

And yes, you will notice a difference with the tuner, a very good one.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

rengnath, I think I'm going to go for it just because of the trans option. I took my truck on it's first long drive this weekend from NC to VA going up and down over mountains and such, the trans was continuously shifting, sometimes going into 2nd gear at 70 (3500RPM) just to maintain speed, it's like it does not know what gear to be in...i hope the sc will help that ..

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
rengnath, I think I'm going to go for it just because of the trans option. I took my truck on it's first long drive this weekend from NC to VA going up and down over mountains and such, the trans was continuously shifting, sometimes going into 2nd gear at 70 (3500RPM) just to maintain speed, it's like it does not know what gear to be in...i hope the sc will help that ..
Yeah, hopefully it will. On the superchips forum, some people complain about the shifting because it will hold in the gears a little longer (example; 1st gear goes to 3k rpm on light throttle) but it prevents the truck from always having to downshift. On the stock shedule it seems all the truck wants to do is get in to overdrive.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

okay good feedback i appreciate it...my brother told me on his hemi it really brought it out...but what you plug it in pick the setting and it changes the shift points and everyting automatically? and do you have to update it as soon as you get it? Also i see you can adjust shift points and what not...but if i put it on the performance tune do i still have to adjust the shift points or rev limiter? And does anyone who has this have any good points that i can tune this to to get the max Performance?

Last edited by WTEBOY703; 07-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

I would suggest updating the tuner before using it....
You need not worry about the shift points.rev limiter, all you need to do is select the tune you want and program it (the shift points will automatically be the superchips schedule.

You could adjust the rev limiter, but there is no need in my opinion.

Quick Reply: will this work?