3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

wheel bearing/hub assy

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing/hub assy

i believe my wheel bearing is going, but it appears we have to replace the entire hub. i looked on rockauto to find a replacement and can not figure out which one i need. i have a 4X4 with abs on the rear, but not the front. i think it is HA590034. is there a left and right or are they interchangable?

i have heard of timken, any recommendations?
i am considering changing the ball joints and cv joints while the front end is apart. hopefully that would rid me of any future front end problems.

thanks

Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Ripley9223
Amateur

I too have recently replaced my hub assembly as well. I chose to put on the Timken's and they are not made LEFT and RIGHT side. While you have everything apart, I found it of great benefit to replace the upper and lower balljoints (if you find any play in the assembly.) I live in the northeast, so it was a necessity to use an air hammer to get behind the hub assembly to remove it off the steering knuckle. (And also replacing the dust shields.)

It became to be quite an ordeal, because even the axles must be removed to get the steering knuckle off. (smart to also replace the U-joints on the axle for the 4x4)

Any futher questions, I will try my best to give you any helpful suggestions

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
i believe my wheel bearing is going, but it appears we have to replace the entire hub. i looked on rockauto to find a replacement and can not figure out which one i need. i have a 4X4 with abs on the rear, but not the front. i think it is HA590034. is there a left and right or are they interchangable?

i have heard of timken, any recommendations?
i am considering changing the ball joints and cv joints while the front end is apart. hopefully that would rid me of any future front end problems.

thanks
Just out of curiosity, what yr is the truck?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie

2005 v8 slt with 48k. it has been babied really but i do tow and drive in the snow.

any recommendations for the u joints? might as well add them.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 AM
brosh187
Rookie

Hmm....I've been posting about "some sort of wheel noise" and I've figured I'm up for a hub swap. Do you think I'm going to have to do ball joints etc.. too?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 AM
themoneyshot
Rookie

i am not a good enough mechanic to diagnose all the individual issues dokotas have so i am trying to replace all the problems while i have it apart.

i jujst need to know whickh parts to order before i get it apart and find i got hte wrong part.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 AM
brosh187
Rookie

I was considering one from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...ge/dakota.html .. but when I went to my local auto parts place, they were helpful too, and the price wasn't much different, if much at all. I just haven't gotten around to the job yet.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM
mightypizu
Professional
Default Part #

Hi,

Can we confirm the part # on this? I just bought the Timken HA590034 but now I'm wondering if I needed the HA590035 for the rear wheel ABS. I'm replacing the right rear hub/bearing.

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, can't help you with the number. I agree, change it all while your in there. I've replaced everything but the hubs. You would think that with all these 3rd gen dakota nearing or surpassing 100,000 miles, some aftermarket company would sell a beefed up kit to replace the whole front end. Freaking rediculous.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing/hub assy