3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

still trying to solve my rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
I had that happen a few times when I first got the truck. I complained about it at the dealer when I was having a shock replaced under warranty and when they gave it back they told me they had flashed the PCM with an update. Haven't had it happen since then.
Ditto.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

How much they charge to reflash a PCM out of warranty? Will the dealer re-flash just because someone asks for it? I take it these flashes are kind of like updates for a PC operating system, improvements and such, probably proprietary so you can't get a list of what changes have taken place over the years.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill head to my dealer tomorow and see how much it costs to update the pcm coz it shut off on me again today.

my rpms go down to like 500 sometimes when im waiting for a light and then if i dont rev the engine it dies.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 AM
jnd03
Rookie

Originally Posted by The Dutch Touch
ill head to my dealer tomorow and see how much it costs to update the pcm coz it shut off on me again today.

my rpms go down to like 500 sometimes when im waiting for a light and then if i dont rev the engine it dies.
Please let us know what the dealer says and how much they charge, my truck has been doing the same thing for a while now. do you know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 AM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

i have also noticed that the problem really started after i installed my 5000k HIDs i gues they draw more power.
im also in the market for a new battery coz i got my stereo system back in the truck so i need a lot more juice

Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Taikimoto

Well, after doing all the stuff I have done and driven half a tank of gas worth the truck seems to be idling a bit better. Its not completely smooth but its better than before. I'll see how it goes after the next fillup after the seafoam is out of the system.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

So yea i was going to go to the dealer today after work but my dumbass co-worker put his hand in front of a moving sprocket from a chain. So my dad said that i had to take him to the hospital. He ended up cutting the tips of three of his fingers so yea we were there till 9.30.

lol so i gues ill go by or call them tomorow.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

Originally Posted by Taikimoto
Well, after doing all the stuff I have done and driven half a tank of gas worth the truck seems to be idling a bit better. Its not completely smooth but its better than before. I'll see how it goes after the next fillup after the seafoam is out of the system.

its good to hear that your problem with the idle is going away, hopefully ill know how that feels soon lol.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
leolo222

Originally Posted by outcast
mine did that it was the battery it had anough juice to start it but shorted out while runnin makin it idle rough and die
My truck was running rough mostly in idle and hesitated when put in reverse backing out in the morning. Almost like a trans problem, but also running very rough. I pulled the negative cable from the battery and left it unconnected while I cleaned the K&N air filter - 30 minutes. Since reattaching, the truck has been totally different. Runs smooth, has more power and I am at 17.2 MPG which is up from my normal 15.7.
It wasn't cleaning my air filter that did it since I clean the filter every other oil change and the idle problem has been through at least 2 filter cleanings.

Not sure if the fix is related to resetting the computer or simply cleaning the battery terminals. Probably should replace the 5 year old battery.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
wolfman7207

Have yall tried SeaFoaming? Mine was idling a bit rough and ran the seafoam thru the brake booster hose and cleared it right up.

Quick Reply: still trying to solve my rough idle