3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota Tranny Delay

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
snapfx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota Tranny Delay

Hey guys! new to the forums.. Just thought id throw this out there for someone to hopefully give me a hand...

2005 Dakota SLT - 4.7 - Auto Tranny..

The Problem im having is, When my trucks left overnight, i go start it in the mourning to goto work; and put it into drive - it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to actually engage into drive..
So... Once you put it in drive, w/ your foot on the brake, about 5-10 seconds later u can feel the truck lurch forward abit (finally goes into drive)

I Dropped my Tranny Pan, no abnormal metal filings found.. WhEn i had my Pan Dropped i Replaced both Filters w/ aftermarket (non dodge ones) from my local parts shop.. Filled it up w/ Amsoil Universal ATF.. Etc.. Alot of the time people say "check your oil level" - yes it can cause a delay etc.. but thats not the issue.. the levels fine..

Something Very Similar To this Issue above Discussed in the TSB.. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/21-015-05.htm

Im Not to sure what to make of that TSB.. Seems like the Fix is to replace the filters .. And i did that, and its still doing the delay..

Suggestions?
Thanks in Advance
-Trev

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles?

Are you under the power train warranty? 7yr 70,000 miles?
Take it to the dealer and tell them to look at it. Does not cost you to have them look at a possible warranty issue.
Possible torque converter issue.

Also I would have not filled the trans back up with UNIVERSAL ATF.
Just because it says universal does not mean you are getting the protection you need.

I have heard a lot of people having great luck with Royal purple. My next trans flush will be with that.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
snapfx

62,500 KM..
Its Under 5 Year Warranty - Powertrain Still.. The charge a Minimim of 120 Bucks to Inspect it..

Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeahp thats what i did with my tranny went with Royal Purple and its smoother then anything! i barely feel the shifts at all to be honest! its smooth like a CVT-V transmission in the Calibers, but with alot more get up and go!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

mine had a problem like that. mine would take too long to shift between gears and way too long to get on overdrive. it felt like it was a pause or an empty space between the gear shifting (have no idea on how to explain it) but i took her to the dealer and they found the tranny selenoid bad so it was changed under warranty and problem solved. so if it's still i warranty, take her in! good luck!!!

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota Tranny Delay