3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Remote (key fob) died

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Remote (key fob) died

Couple days ago I pulled the cables off my battery and gave it and the terminals a good cleaning. Next day my wife is complaining that her remote is not working. So I looked in the owners manual and followed the programming steps using my remote (which still works) with no luck. Put a new battery in her remote and tried programming a few more times with no luck.

Is there any way to actually check this remote? Could just be coincidence that it busted at the same time I disconnected my battery.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
sdsdsd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two remote keys die. If you take them apart you will find cracked solder joints around the button area. Just reflow the solder if that is the case and it will work again.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autozone and advanced normally have an RF radio frequency tester you can try where they sell the batteries and that will tell you if the remote is putting out a signal at all

Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If none of that works, the dealer and ebay charge a lot of money for new keys/programming. You are better off getting a viper alarm at that point for the same/less cost.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd do what trucky said if mine ever goes out. that way I can get a remote start as well as a decent alarm!

Quick Reply: Remote (key fob) died