3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine Coolant???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
True story...
I was referring to the log portion so you and future owners know when you did what. Also for the noobies, it is a good guideline for stuff like this. IE: When a mechanically illiterate person thinks a flush doesn't need done until 120,000 miles, and the log book says 60,000... it is a good rule of thumb to say if you are doubling the time frame that dodge sets, you are probably wrong.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

I keep all my service records in a folder, nice and neat. However, I do not follow the service log in the manual to the T.

I guess its because my father never did, and has had pickup trucks forever. I mean, either he is very lucky, or he knows what he is doing.

I do my oil every october...I never even consider how many miles are on it. Father and family have been doing that since the mid 70's with mobil 1. (now mobil 1 EP). Have always had healthy high mileage engines. My father keeps the vehicles into the mid to high 200,000 area before he decides to buy a new truck.

He never did rear axle fluid unless a repair or leak needs to be fixed.

He usually flushes the coolant after the loan is paid off or completed! lol

How is that for a service schedule. He has reliable trucks for 15 years at a time.

Isn't that something?

I do the same oil schedule but I am a little bit more on-par with the service schedule with everything else!

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 09-10-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
brosh187
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
I do my oil every october...I never even consider how many miles are on it.
Wow, I'm impressed. I'm actually kinda excited thinking this can even be done without hurting the motor. What kind of trucks has he had, that survived all this? I'd love to, since I hate changing my oil, but do religiously every 3k.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I do my oil every october...I never even consider how many miles are on it.
I'm wondering if that is some kind of typo???....changing the oil once a year regardless of miles??? sooo...if you bought your 06 truck new, you have performed exactly 4 oil changes on it in 4 years? Am I reading that right?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by brosh187
Wow, I'm impressed. I'm actually kinda excited thinking this can even be done without hurting the motor. What kind of trucks has he had, that survived all this? I'd love to, since I hate changing my oil, but do religiously every 3k.
3K?? the old rule of thumb was 3K 3 months.. well, I do the 3K more or less but believe with the synthetic blends they have now a days, 3 K is too soon. I really wish there could be a definitive answer to this.

On a side note, where in GF are you? I live in rexford (exit 8a of the north way) and travel to lake george all the time. so I pass exit 18/q8 all the time.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay 3 months or 3K....the only problem with that is whenever your engine is on your oil is circulating! so doesn't matter if you only put 2000 miles on it in 3K its relatively suggested to say that you've realy put 4 K miles of circulation on that oil! So i do every 3K and i use Synthetic oil and royal purple Oil Filter!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 AM
brosh187
Rookie

Originally Posted by paul05dak
3K?? the old rule of thumb was 3K 3 months.. well, I do the 3K more or less but believe with the synthetic blends they have now a days, 3 K is too soon. I really wish there could be a definitive answer to this.

On a side note, where in GF are you? I live in rexford (exit 8a of the north way) and travel to lake george all the time. so I pass exit 18/q8 all the time.

Yeah, been doing oil every 3k in every car I've had since I was a kid...as I'm getting older though, I think I'm going to make it 5k at least. I'm hearing that number alot, and I hate doing it more than I used to LOL. As for where in GF, that's about it...GF's a small city, so exit 17 or 18 off I-87 and I'm a matter of just a couple miles away. Lake George is 15 minutes from me depending on traffic. Exit 8 is like a half hour south...I just went to Rexford a month or 2 ago for something....can't remember what though.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'm wondering if that is some kind of typo???....changing the oil once a year regardless of miles??? sooo...if you bought your 06 truck new, you have performed exactly 4 oil changes on it in 4 years? Am I reading that right?

It's not a typo. I do about the average, 12,000 miles a year. If I did 15,000 or more, I would be changing the oil at 15k.

It's always an initial shock to people, but Mobil 1 Ep is rated at 15k changes. Back in the 70's Mobil 1 was claimed to go even longer. I used to be a member of the BITOG forums, and have had oil analysis done from Black Stone Labs at around 13,000 miles run on my motor oil, and the results came back that the oil was still very acceptable for continued use. Mobil warranties your engine againts oil related issues and failures with using there Mobil 1 EP with 15k oil changes.

Long before I ever had the testing done, my father, and friends have always done yearly changes (unless it exceeds 15k a year) with Mobil 1 or Amsoil. (now its EP only, and regular mobil 1 is a group 3 oil). We have never had a problem in any of our cars doing the extended changes. Some cars include a 1986 Toyota 4x4 we sold running strong at 267,000 miles or so, a 1996 Mercury Tracer we sold running well at 180,xxx miles, a 2001 saturn Sl2 that we currently still have and has about 100,000 miles on it. My 06 Dakota that has 55,000 miles on it. I kid you not, with the tracer, I would change the oil and wouldn't even need to check the level until I drained it a year later. Didn't loose or burn a drop. The dakota eats about half a quart by the end of the year. Thats totally normal though. My fathers current truck is an 03 Ford Ranger 4.0 with the 4.11s and the 4.0 V6. He is at about 120,000 miles. Oil changes once a year, or 15k

I worked a few summers for mercedes when I was in High school and they use Mobil 1 with 10,000 miles changes. It's listed right in the regular maintenance of the cars manual. There is nothing special about these engines or there oil filter either. Also, the same formula synthetics we use here in the states are used in the UK, and all there cars get 10k+ oil changes.

What more assurance could someone need? I'll tell you what, I would take a 3.7L or 4.7L chrysler engine that had 15k changes on Mobil 1 or Amsoil long before I took one that was changes every 3,000 miles with conventional oil. These sludgy things. I remember when we pulled the covers off the toyota when it was at about 220,000, and it was spotless.

There is a definite answer. You guys interested should join the BITOG forum, a dedicated motor oil forum that has members who test and prove oil all the time. It's great only climbing under the truck once a year to do your oil change. And cost me about $35-$45 bucks a year if I grab the 5 quart jug from walmart and a standard filter.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 09-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant???