3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine Coolant???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i've seen that from mobile one about the oil that lasts 10k, 15K idc if its been tested for years and true i would never leave oil in my motor for that long. I would be to worried about something happening!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

so the filter lasts that long as well? thats totally cool. I've been running conventional oil, if I switched to synthetic now, should I expect any issues? noisy valvetrain, etc?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

While we're on the subject of coolant, what are you guys doing with your old stuff? I'm no hippie, but I'm not going to just dump it in the yard and pollute.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM
brosh187
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
While we're on the subject of coolant, what are you guys doing with your old stuff? I'm no hippie, but I'm not going to just dump it in the yard and pollute.

I give mine to my father in law...he has a couple places he takes it..1 is his work (DPW) where they use it in some equip, and 2 a couple ppl he knows use it for farm equip. I used to take it to a local shop where they supposedly recycle it, but they're not around anymore.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
so the filter lasts that long as well? thats totally cool. I've been running conventional oil, if I switched to synthetic now, should I expect any issues? noisy valvetrain, etc?
Yea, a standard oil filter is fine. Some of the more extreme guys will change just the filter at the half way point, but it never really showed an improvement based on the testing.

I am not trying to sell anyone on synthetic oil and extended drains though. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, because I know I save my money, my vehicles last a long life, and I never really sell any vehicle early. This dakota will be a pile of rusted scrap metal by the time I am done with it.

Of course, if any sort of mechanical issues caused coolant to get in the oil, or water, then the oil would have to be drained early. I haven't had that happen yet though. The whole common sense thing still applies.

But again, you can get the documentation right on mobil's website, they fully cover and warranty your engine against any oil related issue for 15k/1 year changes with M1 EP. You will never have to use it though, thats for sure.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 09-11-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant???