3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How To: Clean Your Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Clean Your Wheels and Tires

I made this video about 6 months ago. It was my first How To: video I made. I am in the proccess of make more. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDb8qOxTgjw

If you would like to buy these products, send me a PM and I can give you a discount code to AutoGeek

Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

man thats a lot of work/long time for one tire/wheel....lol....I've found the spray on tire dressings work really well (armorall, etc). just spray on and be done with it. I do like that brush you used to get in the tight spot between the wheel and fender, where did you get that?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Spray on silicone dressing is bad for your tires and paint.

I got it at autogeek I send you a PM with discount info

Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that speed brush pretty flimsy? I need to get behind the spokes but I need something that can scrub back there pretty well not just flop around.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:40 AM
rengnath
Champion

I normally clean the tire and wheel (well) with Wrigleys bleach white and a brush. It works wonders on brake dust and turns the letters on my tires back to pure white. I try to stay away from tire shines because the tire gets dirty much faster, but when I use one I do Mothers Tire Conditioner. It turns the tire black with little to no shine so they dont look tacky.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

do you mean westley's bleach white? thats what I use as well, works great for bringing back the white of the tire lettering. Then I use Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Aerosol, but I'm always open to trying new products. I can only speak from personal experience but I've been using "silicone" based tire dressings (read-armor all products) since I first discovered them back in the 80's and have never had a problem with the tires or paint from using them. I don't doubt the claims they can harm tires, but I've just never personally experienced any tire issues from using these products. I counter that, if you dress your tires often (at least once a week for me) then you offset any negative effects these products may cause over time because you always have a fresh layer of tire shine on them. : )

Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
do you mean westley's bleach white? thats what I use as well, works great for bringing back the white of the tire lettering. Then I use Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Aerosol, but I'm always open to trying new products. I can only speak from personal experience but I've been using "silicone" based tire dressings (read-armor all products) since I first discovered them back in the 80's and have never had a problem with the tires or paint from using them. I don't doubt the claims they can harm tires, but I've just never personally experienced any tire issues from using these products. I counter that, if you dress your tires often (at least once a week for me) then you offset any negative effects these products may cause over time because you always have a fresh layer of tire shine on them. : )
Westley's is my number one cleaner I use NXT Extreme Tire Shine on my truck for the clean look, its in an aerosol. That stuff is pricey but it lasts a good while.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Originally Posted by trucky
Is that speed brush pretty flimsy? I need to get behind the spokes but I need something that can scrub back there pretty well not just flop around.
It is and isn't if you use a good wheel cleaner like DP Gel Wheel Cleaner or P21S Wheel Gel you let the product duell and it does most of the work for you. I like the Speed brush because you can bend it to get the back side of the spokes and brakes ect. They make Deep Reach Wire Wheel Brushes that you can scrub pretty hard with the the brissel are not that soft so only use it for the inner hub of the wheel

Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Originally Posted by rengnath
I normally clean the tire and wheel (well) with Wrigleys bleach white and a brush. It works wonders on brake dust and turns the letters on my tires back to pure white. I try to stay away from tire shines because the tire gets dirty much faster, but when I use one I do Mothers Tire Conditioner. It turns the tire black with little to no shine so they dont look tacky.
Only use Wrigleys on tires over time it will turn the plastic in your wheel wells light and light. Also try not to get any on the wheel it self.

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Westley's is my number one cleaner I use NXT Extreme Tire Shine on my truck for the clean look, its in an aerosol. That stuff is pricey but it lasts a good while.

No for tire shine, there are much cheaper/better product out there that are not silicone dressing that will give you a great shine and no harm your wheel, tire or paint. If you guys like a matt or semi gloss finish to your tires use DP Gloss Tire Gel. For matt finish apply onto your tire let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wipe off. For semi gloss finish apply evenly only the tire and let it sit unit it all soak into the tire. After 30 minute wipe an residue. For a higher gloss use Poorboy's Wolrd Trim Restore. Apply evenly on the tire and wipe off after 30 minutes (the tire should of soak almost all of it up)

No unlike silicone spray on the dressing that sit on top of the tire these dressing soak into the tire conditioning the tire. Being that it soaking into the tire there is no fling off when it is raining. Being that you wipe it on you dont have to worry about getting those nasty silicone dressings on your paint and wheels

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting, I'll look into that. I am up for trying new things if it works well.

Quick Reply: How To: Clean Your Wheels and Tires