3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Alternator whine......

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
poitee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator whine......

I just finished installing my amp head unit and speakers.. I have horrible alternator whine.. when I unhook the head unit its gone.. I have tried isolating ground loops and no luck.. ran a new power and remote wire.. no luck.. moved them amp.. no luck.. tried 3 different grounds for the head unit and amp.. no luck... any help would be appreciated...

Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Pioneer HU?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
poitee

JVC HU... Old Rockford amps (punch 4080dsm and 200x2)
Rockford hi's..

Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Its probably the headunit. My fiance's JVC head unit started doing the same thing a few months back and I couldnt figure the damn thing out for the life of me. I did all the basics like you stated. Well I end up replacing it and viola, no more whine. I know some of the Pioneers had grounding issues, that's why I asked first. Sorry I couldnt help, I am sure someone else may chime in and be more helpful.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, many times that whine starts coming about when you literally blow a channel on either the internal amplifier on the deck or your external amplifier.

Take both pieces to your audio shop in the area (This does not mean Best Buy!) and have them bench test both for system functionality. If they check out ok, then make sure that your grounds are actually going to the frame. I've never done an install on a dakota, but I would be willing to bet that you'll have to hunt around for a location that goes directly to the frame. Usually, your dash mounts will not and if that is the case, you probably found your problem.

At any rate, I suspect amplifier problems at this point.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
poitee

I did a bench test of the amp and all is fine... I also did a test with the internal amp on the hu and its fine.. just the two dont like eachother.. I suspect a major ground loop somewhere but I can't track it down... All my grounds are directly on the frame. This is the exact same setup I used in my 1999 ram.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
poitee

Power wires run along the frame rail all groumeted. The speaker wires run along the drivers side the SHIELDED rca's run along the right. I have also tried a short set and same deal. As far as bench testing.. I installed the amp with a regulated dc power supply using an mp3 player as an source and the same speakers I am using now.

Quick Reply: Alternator whine......