3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would the trans tune be any difrent than using it on a stock non tuned trans

Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trans tuning firms up your shift via reduced torque managment. The wire firms up your shift by boosting line pressure. With both of those in the same combination, its very possible you can end up with a shift too firm. A firm shift is a safe shift, but a wickedly hard shift will put added strain on all the drivetrain components. With Superchips though, you can turn your your torque managment to stock, and then use the transmission mod to add line pressure.

The line pressure is actually the better mod. Reducing torque managment doesnt really help the life of your transmission. Its actually adding more power during the shift, which isnt necessarily the best thing. The line pressure will reduce slippage during the shift and will actually reduce the amount of heat being created. Both will add performance, just in different ways.

As a side note: from what I understand about the 545RFE transmission, the transmission already has a very firm shift due to an already elevated pressure line level. This is a design that allows for prolonged transmission life. What makes our shift smooth from the factory is the torque management. During WOT, power from the engine to the transmission is actually reduced 100%. A shift with no power being supplied to the drivetrain will be very smooth, even with high line pressure. This is why reducing your torque managment settings will actually improve your 0-60 time by sometimes over a second. That shift between 1-2 lacks alot with everything stock.

I imagine both mods would make for an awesome shift because you could pull out all of your torque managment with no risk of the transmission slipping. However, Im not sure how practical this is for a daily driver. My .02

Old 09-10-2010, 01:30 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

So maybe itll be safe if you just turn down torque managment alittle bit and use the wire as a combo. That way its not too much

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by hendrixx324
So maybe itll be safe if you just turn down torque managment alittle bit and use the wire as a combo. That way its not too much
Exactly, if the drivetrain can handle it. Torque managment reduction can actually cause slippage, which is why best results are seen around 10%. If you go any less, there may be slippage. With increased line pressure though, there should be no slippage.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

Thats sounds like it can be tweeked just right and have the truck easily chirpin tires into second

Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, shouldnt be too hard at all. I can get my tires to scratch the pavement with the TM alone. I dont want it doing much more though .... I dont need broken driveshafts and U-joints, all that fun stuff.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

seriously? chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd??? That seems hardly possible due to the fact that my truck currently seems to fall flat on her face when making that shift...lol

Old 09-10-2010, 03:22 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
seriously? chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd??? That seems hardly possible due to the fact that my truck currently seems to fall flat on her face when making that shift...lol
Its that torque managment kicking in. By removing that with a SC tuner, you will no doubt take a second off your 0-60 time. With an aftermarket exhaust, my truck would sound like it farted between shifts with the stock tune. My truck now pulls (hard) through the whole shift at WOT.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

well from what i know my truck is stock they even had to re tune the computer for the heads being milled and she still gets up and goes without ever falling on her face. she has nice shifting tho.. wish i had money i would just drop the 6.1 hemi in her ehheheh

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've given that a lot of thought in the past. I really thought about dropping in a 5.7L hemi and once we had everything worked out putting an Inertia Motor Sports Spartan Cam in it. Then putting a Kenne Bell blower on it.

Imagine this coming from a G3 Daktoa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDK87Jv045Y