3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Poss trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Poss trans problem

I'm out of town working, wife's got the truck. She called telling me that a couple days ago she started the truck and had no gears. Tried reverse and drive - truck would not move. Had a CEL, trans solenoid. She cleared it and has put over 100 miles on with no issues. Should I be concerned? Or is this just a fluke?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of my solenoids act up where the truck went in to limp mode. It happened where I started my truck and immediatly put it in drive to pull out of a parking spot. When I hit the gas it felt like the trans was slipping, so I stopped and gave it more gas to see if it was slipping and I got the CEL. Cleared it and havent had a problem since. If she did something similar where she started the truck and didnt let it warm up for a second, that may be the problem. Just drive it until it gives you another issue .... and it may never do so. Every once in a while its possible to get a fluke as the truck gets older. Just my .02.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker

Thanks rengnath. Sounds like the exact same thing. I've had a couple other cel's that haven't returned in over a year. Hoping this is another one of those.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:31 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About once a month, when I put mine in reverse, it acts like it's not engaging/slipping. Give it a little gas and it kicks in. I prefer to shift into neutral and back into gear, it always engages fine the second time. It's been very intermittent since I bought it 50k ago. I'm chaulking it up to "one of those things", until it gets worse. Twice changed trans fluid.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ever have the transaxle fluid changed? for about a couple hundred dollars, the dealer will change all fluids, frt and rear diffs, tranny and transaxle. may be starting to get alittle dirty

Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker

I've got a 2wd. Previous owner told me he had trans serviced at the dealer around 25,000. I'm at 58k miles right now, planning to do it again soon. I'm sure that dealer "service" was just 4qts and a filter and not a true trans drain/refill.

Quick Reply: Poss trans problem