3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Gas Needle at E, Temp guage no Temp (05 Dakota Quad)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
rankin_wanavtec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Needle at E, Temp guage no Temp (05 Dakota Quad)

On my instrument cluster for my 05 Dakota, my gas level indicator is stuck at E, my temp sensor wont read my engine temp. my Check engine light is on.

I presume the CEL is bceause of the lack of communication from my temp sensor to the ecu. my question is is this most likely a fuse? i was lookin in the fuse box. mind you i didint have much time to check as im at work now. I checked the 10amp fuse in spot either 7 or 8. theyre both good. the one i couldnt check was the fuel pump regulator fuse... is that the one i should check? or is there another one?

What are other possible casuses of this?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your instrument cluster may have gone bad
I would suggest disconnecting the battery and letting the ECM reset (leave it disconnected for like an hour or so).

Keeping my fingers crossed

Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
rankin_wanavtec

my next question is.. i recently installed a sound system. its my gf truck. what are the chances the power cable disconnecting has an impact on the cluster doing this? Im thinking no chance it should only affect the radio fuse or the fuse for the amp that goes to the pos terminal is that correct?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe you disconnected or damaged some wiring in the dash with your install. I've seen it happen before anyway.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
bain64
Veteran

I lost the instrument cluster on the wife's Durango due to a bad ground connection to the right of the passengers feet, underneath the kick panel. The hard part was finding it, but just tightened it up and everything was great.

It really sounds electrical seeing the phrase 'recently installed sound system' Check those grounds and hot leads.

Most auto parts stores will read trouble codes for you, but it sounds like that may not be necessary here.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM
rankin_wanavtec

ok thanks for the heads up.. im gonna check the ground under the kick panel, i ran my rcas thru there. thanks!

Quick Reply: Gas Needle at E, Temp guage no Temp (05 Dakota Quad)