3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Yet another 05 Vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
MagpieTear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 05 Vibration issue

Hi all, unlike most others with the vibration issues, mine conveniently waited until I had 66k on the clock and was 400 miles from home in Friday rush hour DC Beltway traffic. It's a horrible shudder under acceleration, a thrum/binding feel while moving (much worse with the clutch engaged, still there, but barely noticeable when I push in the clutch while moving) and the infamous rear end hop under braking.

My question is, being it took so long to occur, the fact that I am 5 years and 66k into ownership, and the dealer I bought it from long gone, what sort of chance do y'all think I have at getting this thing fixed according to the TSB's under the 7/70 warranty?

It's an 05 SLT, 3.7, 6 spd, 8 3/4 rear with 3:55 gears

I'm not a gearhead, I'm a patternmaker, so I can't tell if it's the clutch, tranny, or rearend that feels like its dragging, but as I limped home yesterday on the PA turnpike, I could smell hot gear oil, and now I'm a bit concerned after reading some of the horror stories on this forum.

BTW, this is my 3rd Dakota, had a 93 and a 97, loved both of them, the 93 was totaled after being broadsided in an ice storm, and the 97 was traded in on the 05 after 182k on the clock. I'd really like to get 10 years out of this one if possible, and will seriously look into the slotted rotor upgrade once this issue is sorted out.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

you sure the clutch isn't burning up? Most of the vibration issues I have from the rear end come when braking, not accelerating. I believe the TSB had to do with high speed shudder while braking, so if yours is happening while accelerating, that sounds like a different issue....i never had any rear "hop" while braking either, mainly just an annoying shudder that only happens sometimes. I've learned to let off and apply the brakes again when it does happen and it will go away.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
MagpieTear

It very well could be, I don't know. But it was odd that I could smell the fluid yesterday around the back of the vehicle. No mistaking the scent of hot gear oil. I never needed to replace the clutch on the 93, it was killed before I had any issues. I did replace the one on the 97, but it was slipping at 120 k or so, there was no chatter or noise. But if it is the clutch, I'd be happy, that's a wear item, not a quality issue. Well, happy until I get the bill...

Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

gear oil smell from the rear could also mean something bad is going on in the differential/axle housings...

Originally Posted by magpietear
a thrum/binding feel while moving (much worse with the clutch engaged,
So the vibration is there with or without the clutch being engaged? More points to something in the rear end or drive shaft/u-joints...have you jacked the back up and spun the wheels with it in neutral? That could help isolate.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
MagpieTear

Well, I dropped it off at Monroeville Dodge. Hopefully I'll have something to report tomorrow. Also hope it doesn't take too long, supposed to rain Thursday and Friday, and a wet 22 mile commute at 4 am on a motorcycle isn't fun in October...

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

monroeville dodge? u mean spirit dodge in swedeseboro nj? from what it sounds deff sounds like sumthing might have gone wrong in the rear... we'll not bad of a time to look at new gears

Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a c-clip that dodge uses while assembly the rear end, it holds everything together, these clips are notorious for falling apart and getting caught in the gears could be heading into failure, thats why dodge wants people to have their gear oil changed so they can remove this clip

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm did not know that superdak good to know

Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 PM
MagpieTear

Well, it's a good thing I'm not a mechanic, a lot of vehicles would apparently die at my hands. It was the rear universal. Two of the bearing caps were frozen solid. The pinion bearing preload was also out of spec, whatever that means. But it rides like a whole new truck now, thanks all. Hooray for the 7/70 warranty!

The last time I had a problem with a u joint, there was no vibration like this, it was more noisy than anything else, and a noticeable clunk when putting it in gear. That was on a 1978 Volare' when I was a teenager, back when Dodge's small truck was the D-50. Guess I'll leave the mechanical work to the pros and stick to wrenching on motorcycles. Tighter tolerances, but much easier to access and understand for me.

Moneyman, Monroeville Dodge is just SE of Pittsburgh, PA.

Quick Reply: Yet another 05 Vibration issue