3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rack & Pinion, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
ND Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack & Pinion, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

14 months ago I replaced the original R&P at 27000 miles on my 2005. Now at 39000 miles it's starting to leak.

Is there a fix for this other than a whole replacement. The lube guy tells me to just watch the power steering level and keep it full and it should go a long time.

I hate leaks of any kind. Unfortunately I am 4 months past the warranty on the first replacement. That cost me a little over $1,000.

Is there an aftermarket R&P that is better than the factory one?

I don't suppose bitching to Dodge will give me any satisfaction.

Any ideas???

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a couple places that have Re manufactured racks that have a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. They are just repaired racks.

I have yet to find a Heavy Duty Rack for out truck.
I have been looking for a while.

Are you making sure to use ATF-4 trans fluid?

I thought I had rack issues, mine was not leaking, and it turned out to be the Version 1 Steering shaft that was the issue with steering issues, replaced with Version 2 and everything is like brand new!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be in luck. My third power steering rack was replaced for free outside of my warranty, because Dodge claimed it was an "Existing unresolved issue". Since they had to replace two before, they couldn't deny me the third one, even outside of my warranty.

You should see what they say, and maybe mention that it is an "existing unresolved issue". I am sure they will take care of it for you.

In the mean time, if your running larger then factory tires, or any sort of leveling kit, now is the time to throw in the towel with that junk.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 AM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
You should see what they say, and maybe mention that it is an "existing unresolved issue". I am sure they will take care of it for you.
+1
Just remember, be very respectful to the service managers and dealer employees. They really do help 100% more when you work with them. They may need some time to make a couple calls, but patience and a smile will take you a long way. When you come in with a bad attitude, they arent so helpful. My

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 AM
ND Dakota
Default More Info.

The place that found the leak in my R&P called me and told me that they found a place that has re-built ones that have a lifetime warranty on parts but only cover the labor for one year. The price was $590 installed. Sure beats the $1,000 plus I paid last year for Chrysler parts.

Now these guys were a Dodge Dealership last year when I had it replaced. They are NOT one now.

I decided to call customer service at Chrysler and see if I have a chance of maybe getting last years covered as per information from you folks. I talked to a very nice lady that told me to send in my proof of repair and proof of payment and they will look into it.

I mentioned that I heard this was an on-going problem but of course she couldn't admit to that. But being she told me to send in these documents I'm hoping I might get lucky.

I told her I had to get this fixed and am going for after-market parts which she did say that it would NOT be covered which I understand.

So if I can get lucky to get some help on last years bill I will be happy. I never buy the extended warranty's on my new vehicles so the extended warranty was around $1,600 so even if I had to pay for last years and now again I am running about even.

It should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Rack & Pinion, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!