3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DAMN!! Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM
nanohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same blasted thing. Just bought an IAC, Temp sensor and Throttle position sensor from rock auto for pretty cheap and am just gonna replace them all.... Less than 100 clams for all. Just so sick of taking the parts off and cleaning them........

Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
d$mn.....I already gave mine to someone else to try it out.....I can add you to my list, I rent it for $100 for a 1 week trial (3 more and it has paid for itself!!! lol)

Why don't you wait until you rent it out 3 or 4 times and give it to me? It will be paid off already and you'll have the money to buy a new one for you and we'll both be happy!! LOL>>>>>

Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
You can adjust the idle with the 3865 too
You know, I really do like the superchips, but one thing they do very poorly is describe ALL the features the thing can do in some sort of user manual. I had no idea it can adjust the idle. Pretty much everything I have learned how to do with it has been from this forum. Heck, it does not even tell you it can read/clear dtc's, at least the "brochure" I got with mine didn't.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
rengnath
Champion

It can only raise the idle as an advanced function temporarily I beleive. Thats the only idle function I know of .... maybe theres another one?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
nanohead
Professional

OK Raven,

I swapped out the IAT, IAC and TPS and all is good. Totally worth the 90 or so clams it cost me. Took a total of 15 minutes (even with that dopey K&N filter). Completely transformed the idle from hunting and dropping and stumbling to smooth and consistent.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

good to know! happy that you fix it. this weekend past i took out the tps and checked it, it was clean. also i check the throttle and it was clean also so i went ahead and clean and recharged my k&n filter and it feels a little better. i will check on the other parts and will see. hay nanohead, how many miles you got on your truck? mine is sitting at 38128...

Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
nanohead
Professional

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
good to know! happy that you fix it. this weekend past i took out the tps and checked it, it was clean. also i check the throttle and it was clean also so i went ahead and clean and recharged my k&n filter and it feels a little better. i will check on the other parts and will see. hay nanohead, how many miles you got on your truck? mine is sitting at 38128...
Just turned 100,000 miles last week. Still runs great.

I think the biggest culprit with the idle is the Idle Air Compensator (IAC), although the TPS and IAT sensors also can contribute. Also, the way the IAT sensor fits in the K&N plenum pipe is pretty lousy, and makes it prone to vacuum leaks. I actually pulled the whole thing off, and had to lube the new IAT to get it all the way into the grommet on the K&N plenum, and now it fits correctly.

The idle is still moody in that it can be bumpy here and there, but at least its consistent at the correct speed now, now more ups and downs and hunting. Also, I notice that idle smoothness now seems to be more closely related to engine temp. When its totally warmed up, its pretty smooth now, whereas when its in between cold and warm, its the roughest.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
rengnath
Champion

Im replacing my TPS again due to a idle problem. This time I ordered Mopar, as the other brands seem to have small problems. Duralast (Airtex/Wells) seems to work best for the TPS, but it still occasionally gives me a problem. BWD gave me a persistant problem. So this time, Mopar it is. BWD sells the same IAC valve as Mopar, but the TPS sensor is different.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
gjmoran
Captain

necro time!

how did the replacement go? did it solve ur issue?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
It can only raise the idle as an advanced function temporarily I beleive. Thats the only idle function I know of .... maybe theres another one?
You are correct. I just went and tried it. As soon as you set it and back out of the function to exit, the idle drops back to normal. You cant save it, even though the tuner itself says you can save it....

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: DAMN!! Idle problems