3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

gas mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake booster .... I do put some down the PCV. The brake booster line is located off the check valve on the brake booster. Sounds sarcastic, but Im serious. The brake booster is the big black round thing in front of the steering wheel. You will see a black vacuum hose going from a gray valve the enters the brake booster, and the hose goes to the intake.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so basically i need a pair of pliers to take it off then right? to easy if thats the case...go home and do this in january! let the truck run for like 30 Min. then add the additive in the brake booster line the shut if off then add it to the oil and i'm gonna dump a whole can into the gas tank is this okay? then start it up and watch the smoke ROLL

Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 AM
rengnath
Champion

A can in the tank is fine. Pour a few oz. down the brake booster line SLOWLY so you dont stall and hydrolock the engine.

I wouldnt put that stuff in my crankcase personally ..... thinning out of the oil is never a good thing. Go sythetic if you want to clean that out, IMO.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
flyingDakota

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
I never got more than 15.5 mpg with my v6 Highway or city, but i was also auto and 4x4. That said, just before i got in the wreck, i had just cleaned my air filter (KandN in factory box) and put some lucas's fuel injector cleaner (fuel additive) in mine, and it showed 16 on the overhead. It was just rollin arround to time for a tune up, and oil change.
I seems that all of our mileage varies greatly. I do have a 2WD though. I check it every time with the calculator and the overhead computer is usually off by .1 or .2 but otherwise fairly accurate. Thing I find funny is we are getting the same mileage as the 4.7.

My old truck (Ford Ranger 4WD) got 18 no matter what except in 4WD where it was slightly lower.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I thought the overhead was fairly accurate until I recently took a trip to Va. The overhead showed 18.6 for the trip (there are quite a few mountains to drive over between here and there), but when I calculated the mileage from actual gas used, I got 14 and change, which is a total bummer. I have to try it a few more times to see if this is really my true mileage for a trip, but gas has gotten so expensive lately, I hate to fill it completely up.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
rengnath
Champion

Kent,
Theres still pleanty of cars that dont have locking fuel doors. All you need is a bucket and a few feet of hose .... I thought your generation invented syphoning?!? How don't you know this stuff jk

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
so basically i need a pair of pliers to take it off then right? to easy if thats the case...go home and do this in january! let the truck run for like 30 Min. then add the additive in the brake booster line the shut if off then add it to the oil and i'm gonna dump a whole can into the gas tank is this okay? then start it up and watch the smoke ROLL
Hell you dont even need pliers... give it a good tug and it should come.

Yes, yes I know... thats what she said

Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by rengnath
I thought your generation invented syphoning?!?
I never bought a drop of gas my senior year in high school....but I was never able to siphon gas out of a moving vehicle..... : p

Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

can't run that fast, plus i cant see, remember?

Quick Reply: gas mileage question