3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08+ 4.7V8 spark plug question with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so pretty much yeah its better but in the end your filling up more because it gets worse MPG adding the same amount of pollutants anyway? wow

Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt call E85 better ....

Its only 20-30 cents cheaper, but Ive seen numbers in the single digits for large vehicals that are flex fuel. Im talking about anywhere from 9mph to 12mpg. Cost wise .... not so effective

If youre looking for performance, I wouldnt let E85 touch your tank. It will go down just like your gas mileage.

It is better for the environment. I cant really argue with that. However; its killing our wallets even if you dont own a flex fuel vehical. All the corn that used to go towards feed for cows (which is also terrible since a cow cant actually digest corn feed but we wont go there today .... read Omnivor's Dilema) and other animals now is being bought up by ethanol producers. Theres more demand with the same supply which leads to higher prices for consumers all around.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Growlor
Professional
Default I've been running e85 since I first got my 2007

and have continued with my 2010 (except when I drive to someplace that doesn't have it like on my trip to FL a few weeks back.)
With my 2005 3.7L I was getting about 13-14mpg (lots of start/stop and speed bumps on a very short commute so the truck never got a chance to warm up much.) Same drive running e85 in my 2007 got me 9-10mpg. With the 2010 I am getting 10-11mpg.
I have 2 gas stations within 2 miles of me that sell e85 and the one I usually buy it at has u87 (aka unleaded 87 octane) for $2.76 and e85 for $2.49. So its ~9.78% cheaper for the e85, but I get/have gotten ~23% less mileage. So, I'm not saving money running.
So why on earth am I using it you ask? Well, if we want choices, it is my opinion that I need to support the people who give us those choices even when its not the absolute cheapest thing to do. Don't get me wrong, there are TONS of issues with the way e85 is done now (like making it out of corn and using petroleum products to heat the corn mixture in the production process, the diesel fuel used to run the tractors on the farms and sending the fuel out in trucks instead of pipelines, and on and on...)
The good news is it WILL get better some day IF enough people keep buying it (so that the infrastructure gets more built-up and the technology of making it gets more investment $'s.) I know they are already looking into burning the corn stalks (instead of using petroleum products) for the heating process and I keep hearing stories about tests for making ethanol form celluose, so it is my hope that they will eventually make some real improvements in the process.
Having said all that, I am a special case, I have easy access to 2 nearby gas staitons that carry e85, my commute is so short that the cost differential is not a big deal and I am lucky enough to be able to own a newer flex-fuel vehicle, so I can use it without much fear of any harmful effects. In fact, if I ever get "rich" I would love to modify my engine to take full advantage of e85 (it is ~105 octane, so boosting compression or turbo/supercharging should be a snap?) I know GM is doing this with the "range booster" engine in the new Volts (they require either e85 or premium gas.)

Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw it lets just run it off of helium! that would be a good idea!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
roadrnr_70

E85 in Ontario, when you can find it doesn't cost any less than regular unleaded. I think because they treat it as a novelty. On the plus side, it doesn't cost as much as premium even though the octane rating is higher. The one true bonus of running E85 is the octane rating. There is a noticeable boost in throttle response when you get on it. I look at a tank of E85 as an additive that I run once in awhile that cleans out the system. I noticed improved mileage afterwards on unleaded fuel.

Quick Reply: 08+ 4.7V8 spark plug question with a twist