3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08+ 4.7V8 spark plug question with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 PM
08dakota_toronto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08+ 4.7V8 spark plug question with a twist

Hi Guys,

Went to change out my plugs after 50k - I know they were supposed to be changed at 30k but they weren't. I just bought the truck in the summer at about 36k and didn't find out that it needed the top row done until my fuel economy started dropping and I noticed engine performance wasn't what it was when I got it.

After screwing around at a bunch of parts stores that didn't know a darn thing about this engine - I finally went to the dealership, talked the counter guy down from $6.00 a plug to $3.89 and then still felt disgusting about paying that much for a copper plug.

I've changed lots and lots of spark plugs in my day, even coil on plugs before. First one was okay except the boot was VERY snug and took me a while to pull it off. I took the plug out and noted that they looked quite white and not brown/tan like normal worn plugs looked like. I was wondering to myself if it had been running lean or hot.

Went on to the second plug and again VERY snug. Pulled gently, more and more pressure until finally - the boot popped off the COIL! I screwed around with it for an hour trying get the boot and plug out and wasn't going anywhere. In desperation I had to take out my drill and lightly drill into the rubber boot in order to gain access to the plug.

Once I got it out I found that the rubber boot had literally melted and fused to the insulator on the spark plug. All of the other plugs that I took out were white and had small amounts of rubber fused to the insulator. Changed out 6 of 8 - need to get new boots for two. If you are opening the hood on the right hand side the second plug from the front and then the opposite plug on the left hand side were both melted so much the boot popped off the coil (why oh why didn't they mold the boot to the coil - it's threaded!!!!)

My question is - I bought this truck used at 36k 6 months ago - should I be thinking now that there was an overheat situation? Also - I noticed that a lot of major parts are marked with white dots on my engine including all 8 coil packs - does everybody else with the 08+ 4.7 have those same dots? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM
JimBio
Professional

I feel your pain, I did my 08s plugs last summer and broke two coil boots. Those suckers are welded on there. If you use lots of dielectric grease, it will be much easier the next time. Moparonlineparts.com is where I got new coils, they are $40 each and you have to buy the entire coil (found them on the forum advertisement). I have the white dots as well, not sure what they are for.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks man!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 AM
lootownpunx
Professional

oh great now i know what i have to look forward too haha,thanks for the heads up

Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

yeah..lol mine haven't ever done that and hopefully never will!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM
08dakota_toronto

Originally Posted by JimBio
I feel your pain, I did my 08s plugs last summer and broke two coil boots. Those suckers are welded on there. If you use lots of dielectric grease, it will be much easier the next time. Moparonlineparts.com is where I got new coils, they are $40 each and you have to buy the entire coil (found them on the forum advertisement). I have the white dots as well, not sure what they are for.
This is exactly what I was afraid of. They threaded the boots onto the coils so why wouldn't they make just the boots!!! But like I said I fully expected it - looks like my truck is getting an early Christmas present!

For those guys that changed their plugs already - did the old ones look whiter than other plugs you have changed in the past on other vehicles?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM
rengnath
Champion

Definetly use dielectric grease. Regardless of overheating, a boot can fuse to a spark plug if none is used. Personally, I would be shy with the stuff .... its not that expensive and all it will do is save you money in the future.

Your plugs should have a white tip with the ceramic being coffee colored. The trucks ECM should make your fuel mixture perfect by using the readings from the O2.

Im guessing E85 may be a culprit here? That stuff burns significantly different than regular gasoline; and I believe it burns hotter. Are your 08s flex fuel?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM
roadrnr_70

Every tried to find E85 in Ontario? There's only like 4 stations.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

lol what 4 stations in one province or like the whole country of canada? i've never seen E-85 in Virginia at all! but thats probably cause i've never even looked cause i didn't want that crap!

Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never use E85. Yeah it way be cheaper but you don't get anywhere near the MPGs with it

Quick Reply: 08+ 4.7V8 spark plug question with a twist