3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
trevorrawson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Questions

When I switch on my brights the passenger side headlight goes out. I thought that it might just be the bulb so I bought some new ones and replaced them. Went to turn on my brights and it's still not working. Anyone know if this could be a fuse problem or am I going to have to replace the whole headlight? I looked at the fuse box but couldn't figure out which one went to the headlights. I've still got a few weeks on my dealers warranty so I think they'll cover it. But I'd like to not have to replace it and have one bright and shiny new one and one kind of old and faded. I'm going to replace them eventually it's just not up high on my list of things to do at the moment.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
rengnath
Champion

The problem sounds to be in the wiring and not the actual housing so their will be no need to replace the actual headlight. When you turn on your brights, the wires that run your regular lamps shut off. It sounds like there is a fault in the wire that runs your bright on that headlight. An electrical tester should be able to point out which wire is which. Could be something as simple as the connection being corroded.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure our headlights run through a relay in the fuse panel. I do not recall what # location it is in, but you can always try switching the relay with another one temporarily to see if it fixes the issue and then buy a new one if that is the problem.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 PM
trevorrawson
Rookie

I thought that it might be a relay as well but the fuse panel didn't even have headlight listed. They had a number of parking lamps and such. Any idea at what it might be labeled as? I'm going to check out the wiring tomorrow, hopefully it's something as simple as a bad relay or corrosion.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by trevorrawson
I thought that it might be a relay as well but the fuse panel didn't even have headlight listed. They had a number of parking lamps and such. Any idea at what it might be labeled as? I'm going to check out the wiring tomorrow, hopefully it's something as simple as a bad relay or corrosion.
Check out the service manual in the sticky section:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ce-manual.html

In the section about exterior lighting, they talk about a control module and using a scan tool to read it...sounds like there is a control module that has a problem, or check the light connector itself like rengnath said.....could be corroded for the high beam on that side.

Quick Reply: Headlight Questions