3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need advice on Body Lift parts and Stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on Body Lift parts and Stereo upgrades

I have a 2005 SLT V8 quad cab 2WD.

Body Lift:

I want to put blocks on the rear and a leveling kit on the front, but I still want to have a little bit of rake.
Measured the wheel wells and there is about a 2.5" diff tween the front and rear. Once done I want the rear to still be about an inch higher. I was thinking of raising the rear 2", which would translate to raising the front 3.5". My concern is that now that my truck is over 5 yrs old, it may be sitting lower than it was when it was brand new. If that is the case or if its even possible, would it be recommended to just put on new springs or anything before I get a leveling kit to see what I need. If not, do they make a 3.5" kit and if so, is that too much or what problems could I look forward to, lifting it that much? As far as components, what brands would you experts recommend and what price range (excluding install) could I expect? Also, by lifting the body I am expecting that more of the "guts" will be exposed. That being the case, are there any wheel well extensions or parts that are made to cover/protect the engine compartment? Any other advice or comments you have would be appreciated?

Stereo Upgrades:

I upgraded my 05 factory radio to an 07 (I like a stock look), which allowed me to plug my iPod into the aux port. At this point, I already installed new Alpine speakers all the way around and I bought a nice Kicker amp for them. I do want to add some bass in the near future as well and I have heard a lot of good things about the MTX thunderform and even though I know that I will lose the ability to lift my rear drivers seat I think it will work well. What do you think? Getting back to my current situation. Wanting to keep the stock radio I know that I am going to have get an RCA wire harness adapter to hook them up. I found a company called PAC (PAC aoem-chr3) that makes what looks like good harnesses. Just not sure if I go with it, which one I should get, to make sure I can hook up both the amp to my 6.5's and the sub. If you have any ideas or are familiar with this kind of set up I could use your advice.

On a side note, I have been researching a bit and have taken an intrest in the MyGig Nav systems. I have seen several different models and not knowledgable of what the differences are. If I decide down the road to upgrade to one of these, what type should I get and what accessories (wiring harnesses, microphone, the "lock pik", etc) would I need to be able to do the following: Keep my amps hooked up, iPod connection, blue tooth speaker phone, rear camera, Navigation, and USB hook up. Other than those features, if you are familiar with the MyGig and it's capabilities; I'd be interested in knowing what else it can do (i.e. diagnostics, ******* gauges, on the fly CPU tuning, or anything else I cant think of)

Any and all information, ideas, advice and tips on these issues, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are enjoying the holiday season that is now upon us and I wish a warm, safe and fun christmas and new years for you all!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Crawler Hauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the instructions for a 3" body lift. http://www.performanceaccessories.co...ions/60163.pdf

This should tell you what is involved. The only additional things you will need are the urethane gap guards to hide the gap in the wheel wells. They are manufactured by the same company.

If you do a Google search, you should be able to find the kit and the gap guards for a good price.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+perf...x=&startPage=1

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

wow thats alot of reading! but do some research on the posts already made about this cause there is a member here who installed mygig on his truck not to long ago if i remember correctly! so do some research and that'll give you more answers then waiting on members here to respond! (nothing against anyone but we all know waiting on answers that are pin point can take a while, and i dont know how long this guy has)

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Hey thanks guys, sorry I wrote so much, just wanted to try and paint a clear picture of what I wanted to do. As far as how much time I got, well I try to be patient, cuz I'd rather know what all of my options are and do something right the first time. I got a month off for xmas break and wanted to do my body lift and get my amp and sub installed. If I end up doing a MyGig upgrade, it wouldn't be til summer. I got a few other mod projects and maintenance to care of first. From the research I did so far I'm guesstamating that a MyGig system with all the wiring kits would end up running somewhere around $750-1000 (including a rear camera install) and for that amount of money I could do about 1/2 a dozen mods on my list.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

its all about what you want...do you wanna pick up the pace and have more giddy up or more luxury! its all up to you, gotta make up your mind and go from there!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Hey WTEBOY, couldn't help but notice the location tag of Korea and Ft. Hood. So I take it your Army. What's your MOS? I was active duty for 6 years and now Im in the guard while I'm goin to school. I was at Ft. Stewart for a tour and after I re-upped I pcs'd to Ft. Campbell for another. Almost went to Korea, but was able to get myself deployed to Afghaniland instead. Currently I'm a 68W and goin to school for Nursing (go figure). Always nice to come across other guys in green.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
QuadDodge02
Professional

The best you'll be able to do is 2" in the front. They don't make many kits bigger than that but you really wouldn't want to go any bigger. The front end just cant handle it. Then you could just do 1" blocks in the rear. And then top it all off with the body lift.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Hey WTEBOY, couldn't help but notice the location tag of Korea and Ft. Hood. So I take it your Army. What's your MOS? I was active duty for 6 years and now Im in the guard while I'm goin to school. I was at Ft. Stewart for a tour and after I re-upped I pcs'd to Ft. Campbell for another. Almost went to Korea, but was able to get myself deployed to Afghaniland instead. Currently I'm a 68W and goin to school for Nursing (go figure). Always nice to come across other guys in green.
Yes Army...I'm 13B I shoot artillery for a living! so yeah not so great as a 68W...you still active duty or out?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by italiandominator
I have a 2005 SLT V8 quad cab 2WD.

Stereo Upgrades:

.........I found a company called PAC (PAC aoem-chr3) that makes what looks like good harnesses. Just not sure if I go with it, which one I should get, to make sure I can hook up both the amp to my 6.5's and the sub. If you have any ideas or are familiar with this kind of set up I could use your advice.

I'm using the PAC harness for a sub and it works great. no issues, all plug and play.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Hey WTEBOY, Not active anymore, was for 6 years, switched to the guard while Im in school. Which is working out great! For the one weekend a month I give them, not only is my drill pay enough to cover my truck payment and insurance, all the school benefits added on to my gi bill pretty much lets me go to school absolutely free (except books) and I take home more each month than I did when I was an active E-5. Don't hate on me, but I'm planning on contracting with ROTC and go over to the dark side, may even retire outta the guard, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Body Lift parts and Stereo upgrades