3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Trans not upshifting right when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite part is that the dealership knows that this is an issue. They have even made a PCM flash with an updated program to fix the issue. Yet they still want to charge us for there mistake in the first place.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
roadrnr_70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 4.7 liter Dakota 545RFE transmission

I hope this helps others to troubleshoot stalling issues.
4.7 liter stalling, transmission surge at idle. It would be great if this applied to everyone's stalling problems. I've heard the horror stories of having transmission service done and within a short time, the transmission starts acting up or goes out completely. This was no different, although, I was still under the powertrain warranty. I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting recommended service done to their transmission, but be aware of the potential consequences. It took me several trips to the dealership and finally having the truck stall on them to prove my point that it was the transmission all along. To all those who have stalling problems, you really need to observe how the truck stalls, ie; did it just die or did it feel like the engine was being put under load at the time. Debris had caused several valves to stick in the valve body, which caused the transmission to "load up" at idle when the truck was cold, which stalled it. There were no codes set by this either. The dealer removed the valve body and cleaned it, noting the debris and freeing up the valves. It works fine now. The recently installed filter looked fine too. If debris in the valve body is a common problem, whether or not you have had transmission service done, then these stalling issues could be traced to that. The maintenance book calls for transmission fluid and filter change at 100K km, or 60K miles. The funny thing is the dealership recommends it at 50K km or 30K miles. The problem I see is that at 100K km, at least here, your warranty is up! Long story short, get it done before the warranty is up and be prepared for the worst. Would a flush and fill work better?! I don't know. Personally, I think Chrysler should wise up and include valve body service(cleaning the valve body and components), along with fluid and filter change, while still under warranty. You, as a customer would be on the hook for the service, but less likely to need warranty work on the transmission afterwards, or if you're really unlucky, the dealership runaround for a "stalling issue" with your truck!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

thats why i'm afraid to get a tranny service done.

Quick Reply: Trans not upshifting right when cold