3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fastman TB installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you install it properly? try taking it off and putting it back on again!
and disconnect the battery before you take it off and put it back on!

Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
did the procedure twice. still have the high idle. i'm beginning to think this tb is fubar. it's too bad the dude wont work with us on this one. obviously there is a problem with it.
Have you re-routed your throttle cable in any way? Does the throttle blade fit good against the walls of the bore or is there a slight gap? The blade angle can be adjusted if there is a slight gap by turning the adjusting screw or some call it the linkage stop. You'll need a T20 tamper-proof torx bit and adjust it from the back side. Facing the engine, turning the screw clockwise will lessen the gap and counter-clockwise will increas the gap. Do this 1/2 turn at a time and if the blade starts to stick, back it 1/4 turn.

If the answer to both these questions is no, then it sounds like you may have a sensor problem and I would think it would be the TPS other than the IAC.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I did notice that holding it up to the light, I can see light shining through all the way around the throttle blade. I thought that was strange because the one I took off, I could not see a any light shining through, but figured it was just dirty.The blade should be completely shut? No gap at all?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

should touch...shouldn't be a big enough gap where you can see light through it...so try spacin it out a little bit...could solve all problems!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I will do that. but if it's already perpendicular to the body then that means it was bored too big.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I did notice that holding it up to the light, I can see light shining through all the way around the throttle blade. I thought that was strange because the one I took off, I could not see a any light shining through, but figured it was just dirty.The blade should be completely shut? No gap at all?
With the engine off and standing in front of the TB, turn the adjusting screw clockwise 1/2 turn at a time until you feel the blade stick while opening the blade with your hand. Once you feel the blade stick a slight amount, then turn it back 1/4 turn or until you no longer feel it sticking.

From the way you're describing it, the blade is not adjusted right which is allowing more air than the IAC sensor can compensate for.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt think you could adjust the blades on our TBs?

And Kent, Ill call on that thing for you on Tuesday morning.

Last edited by rengnath; 12-20-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rengnath
I didnt think you could adjust the blades on our TBs?

And Kent, Ill call on that thing for you on Tuesday morning.
Yes they can be adjusted. The small round 'button' looking thing on the TB that the linkage rests on is a set screw that can be adjusted 'in' to increase the gap or 'out' to decrease the gap of the throttle blade. The larger the gap between the edges of the blade, the higher the idle will be. Too much gap and the IAC sensor will not be able to compensate for the additional air flow at idle.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

This is the adjusting screw I'm talking about as seen from the from of the TB. The linkage sets on top of the tip of the set screw.

This is the back side view and you'll need a T20 tamper-proof torx bit in order to make the adjustment.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I'll give it a look see tonight. You'd think these things would be adjusted correctly when you get them.

Quick Reply: Fastman TB installed!