3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

almost crash my truck...my horn is not loud enough!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
tdister
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another nod to the hella supertones. High quality, compact/easy to install right behind the grill, reasonably inepensive. They are also louder than most horns from the tests I've seen performed, no matter whatt he boxes rate them at. They don't sound pretty or "cool" IMO, they sound nasty and ugly...and like something you want to get out of the way of.

I've had some cheap replacement horns fail, and I've heard of air horns not being reliable (valves getting stuck or something).

I have the supertones on mine and, while you can use the factory wiring, I used a relay system activated by one of the factory horn wires, leaving one of the factory horns operable too (total of 3 horns). The relay is easy, allows the factory wiring to remain 100% stock plus makes sure the hellas are getting all of the voltage they need to be full volume.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tdister
Another nod to the hella supertones. High quality, compact/easy to install right behind the grill, reasonably inepensive. They are also louder than most horns from the tests I've seen performed, no matter whatt he boxes rate them at. They don't sound pretty or "cool" IMO, they sound nasty and ugly...and like something you want to get out of the way of.

I've had some cheap replacement horns fail, and I've heard of air horns not being reliable (valves getting stuck or something).

I have the supertones on mine and, while you can use the factory wiring, I used a relay system activated by one of the factory horn wires, leaving one of the factory horns operable too (total of 3 horns). The relay is easy, allows the factory wiring to remain 100% stock plus makes sure the hellas are getting all of the voltage they need to be full volume.
Hey could you maybe do a little write up... I'd be interested in seeing your set up

Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
rengnath
Champion
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW I likey!!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
rengnath
Champion

I wonder if he wears his ear protection while driving .... just incase someone cuts him off. Lol

Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 AM
tdister
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Hey could you maybe do a little write up... I'd be interested in seeing your set up
I'll see what I can do. Hopefully a comparison vid beside my buddy's dodge ram. Just need to get my camera back...

It's pretty simple. I mounted the horns on the beam/support behind the bumper and grill. I'm pretty sure the supertones came with the relay, not 100% sure though. I did remove one of the horn grills for clearance reasons.

I'd intended to reposition mine at some point as one of the horns is partially blocked by the bottom of the grill when the hood is closed. I haven't done it because there is just no need. I find myself already not using my horn sometimes for fear of scaring the innocent...

There are some youtube vids of them, mostly on subarus. the vids don't really do them justice but give an idea.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM
norma jean
Captain

about that write up.......

Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
ive seen in a previous thread you asking about train horns, at our local truck shop we can get them for about 300$ you just need a different fitting, and WTF FML they are LOUD im in orang county ca.....

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by norma jean
about that write up.......
that was from last year......don't even know if that guy is on here anymore...

Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 PM
norma jean
Captain
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jkeaton
that was from last year......don't even know if that guy is on here anymore...

i know, but i like to think i can have hopes and dreams

Quick Reply: almost crash my truck...my horn is not loud enough!!!!