3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cheese on the Oil Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheese on the Oil Cap?

Okay I have been out of town for a while, and unable to frequent the forums. Now I am back wooo!

Okay so here it is, my truck is still under warranty, so if it is something major, I don't have to worry too much,

I changed the oil in my truck about a week ago. First off that bar that crosses under the engine was designed by a engineer that needed to be shot. Yeah it is okay for the first few seconds, then the oil hits it and fans out all over the place.

Anyway, back on topic. I drained the oil, and swapped out the oil filter. Once I had everything buttoned up on the bottom, I went to the top. When I took the oil fill cap off, first it was a pita to get off. Once I finally got it off, I flipped it over, and it looked literally like someone had smeared melted mozerella, and american cheese on the inside of the filler cap. It was also on the inside of the tube, and starting to roll down into the engine.

I about pooped my pants, as I have never seen this before. These are the only picturs I could find that were similar.

TacomaSimilar.jpg
TacomaSimilar2.jpg
notTacomaSimilar2.jpg

When I looked online, I have seen two differing opinions on this.

First That the engine coolant is leaking into the engine, and causing this. ( I have only had the truck a short while, but I have not noticed the coolant level changing.)

Second That the engine has been driven on many short trips, not allowing the engine to get up to operating temp. Thus allowing a buildup of water from the combustion process.

Have you guys noticed this? Anyone got an actual cause for sure? I mean realistically if it is a blown head gasket, I want to get it to the dealer before it has a chance to cause any real damage.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed my oil today.. Odd that you asked about this, because I asked my mechanic what it was from. He said its due to the cold weather and short trips. He said it is water that is trying to escape into the pcv valve. I only had a very small amount of that on that plastic stopper in the tube. He said it is nothing to worry about if you change your oil as scheduled. The issue happens when the oil temp does not get hot enough on a short trip to evaporate all the water in the oil.

Only way to tell if the water is from coolant is to drain the oil and wait for it to separate and see if you see coolant.

Also I would check your PCV valve to see if it is clogged. If you remove the PCV and you shake it and hear the ball inside rattle you should be ok. You can spray some carb cleaner inside to clean it.

Last edited by Eimer123; 01-12-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

Here is the PCV location on the 2005 engine.
pcv.jpg

pcv2.jpg

Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 PM
EDinNB
Rookie

if you have the chance, take it for a good run, at least an hr, preferable 2, get it up to temp and work it a bit.

When you get home, check under tha cap again, I'll bet 90% of the crap is gone, if it is the same or worse, then I'd be looking at a head gasket situation as the likely culpurt.

BTW all earlier responses were correct it is slidge, a combination of Oil and Water caused by cold weather and short runs.

EDinNB

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM
rengnath
Champion

This is truely a design flaw, IMO. Even with long trips, you will still get some of that moisture build up (the cheese).

If you look at where the oil fill is, its right behind the fan where cold air blows on it constantly. So in winter, it blows cold air on the oil fill tube and it creates condensation. Dodge didnt know apparently that moisture builds up and condensates on the side of something with the heat; ie. inside the engine and oil fill tube. So its just a huge design flaw, but moisture in the oil is never a good thing. If you do a lot of short trips, I would change the oil a little more often in the winter, and also go open it up every once in a while to try and get most of this moisture out.

If you notice this cheese building up in the oil when you drain the pan, you may have a bigger problem like a leaky head gasket where coolant is getting in the oil. If it just sticks by the oil fill cap, and is only in the winter, youve got nothing to really worry about.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rengnath
This is truely a design flaw, IMO. Even with long trips, you will still get some of that moisture build up (the cheese).

If you look at where the oil fill is, its right behind the fan where cold air blows on it constantly. So in winter, it blows cold air on the oil fill tube and it creates condensation. Dodge didnt know apparently that moisture builds up and condensates on the side of something with the heat; ie. inside the engine and oil fill tube. So its just a huge design flaw, but moisture in the oil is never a good thing. If you do a lot of short trips, I would change the oil a little more often in the winter, and also go open it up every once in a while to try and get most of this moisture out.

If you notice this cheese building up in the oil when you drain the pan, you may have a bigger problem like a leaky head gasket where coolant is getting in the oil. If it just sticks by the oil fill cap, and is only in the winter, youve got nothing to really worry about.
Mine gets the smallest film of that on the oil cap, but no where else, definately not in the filler neck or anything. One of our other cars gets it on the oil cap too, its entire life.

I don't worry about it.

However, if it is anything like in the example pictures your posted, then I may be worried..

Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do I see a Toyota symbol? Dont be looking at them pictures! BAD BAD!

Anyways if your trucks that bad I think I would do a compression test. Also check your rad for any bubbly bub sounds beyond the typical overflow tank moving coolant back and forth. Does it smell like antifreeze out the exhaust?

Btw my old 1st Gen Dakota used to get a slight bit of the "cheese" build up on the dipstick. It did it from the beginning and I never lost power or anything. It was just the nature of the beast I guess.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

It's not a design flaw, it's nature.

The tan oil/cheese, whatever you want to call it, is a build up of condensation. This is more common in cold climates where snow and ice.

Usually long trips will help evaporate the condensation.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter

The tan oil/cheese, whatever you want to call it, is a build up of condensation. This is more common in cold climates where snow and ice.

Usually long trips will help evaporate the condensation.
Very true... but I would almost be a little concerned if it is that thick, don't ya think? or am I overly cautious

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
Of course it is!

Quick Reply: Cheese on the Oil Cap?